Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone build their own roof racks?

I have the means to do so... Aluminum welder, tubing etc.

Just wondering if there is any proven ideas out there. I think the kicker will be mounting. Thought about holding to factory specs of the Safari Rock so that I could just buy the gutter adapters.

If any of you have tackled this, let me know. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. I've made one some time ago, but it ended up getting smashed at a powdercoat shop beyond repair (their shelf with about a ton of fence poles collapsed). I have no time to put into another one, but it was close to this design by Rover Solutions (Kyle Van Tassel's rack). What I'd really like to make next time I get around to it is a small flat rack/basket to mount directly to the factory bars, for light use and without having to remove it to park in my garage. Post up pix if you end up making something.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link.

You do have a point about the garage. I have an inch of wiggle room because of the lift (2") and taller tires (235-85-16). I can not even get in with the rear sun roof tilted up.

I am thinking of low profile simply for wind noise.

I will definitely post pics... if I dont mess it up too bad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
TXRover-

Was just going over the same idea myself ... find it hard to fork over a thousand bucks for something that's just going to hold my gear! Anyway, downloaded most of the schematics for the standard rack you see on Expedition Exchange and then started looking at mounting options and pricing out the metal.

If you learn anything by trial and error I'd appreciate any advice you might have on the subject. I have to think some cash-poor Discovery owner at some point did this and kept notes ...maybe they'll step forward?

·
Registered
734 Posts
NorCalDisco2 said:
Depends on what you are looking for. I've made one some time ago, but it ended up getting smashed at a powdercoat shop beyond repair (their shelf with about a ton of fence poles collapsed). I have no time to put into another one, but it was close to this design by Rover Solutions (Kyle Van Tassel's rack). What I'd really like to make next time I get around to it is a small flat rack/basket to mount directly to the factory bars, for light use and without having to remove it to park in my garage. Post up pix if you end up making something.
Is there any contact information for Rover Solutions? I love the rack on the Classic.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
DallasRover said:
Is there any contact information for Rover Solutions? I love the rack on the Classic.
Thanks

FYI - Kyle takes 4ever but it is good work. My suggestion is to haunt the 4 sale section of Dweeb and jump on it when a rack comes up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you know somebody with a Safety Devices model copy that it is by far the best.

I was about to shell out for one earlier this year as I put 2" lift on the Disco and the Land Rover Expedition one I had on broke due to rust (living in the desert I know its hard to believe).

Long story short, Safety Devices went bust the week I was organizing to buy it and have it shipped over, so I ended up repairing the old one which now makes it impossible for me to fit into any covered car park in Dubai, but with the camping season about to start I need it.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
saftey devices

FYI- Safety Devices have returned as Saftey Devices International Ltd.! Apparently they will still be making roll cages and other products and the R&D for those products will remain in the U.K., but manufacturing will be moved to Poland. They are looking to increase there competitiveness by expanding there UK, European and US dealer networks.
Hopefully that will bring there prices down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.