Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, anyone have a rooftop tent? I was at a Land Rover show in Portland, OR last year and saw a whole bunch of them. One in particular was pretty cool. It was more of an expanding plastic coffin that sleeps two comfortably. They're imported from Italy by loftyshelters.com. That model and all the other ones I've seen (cloth tents included) run for well over 1,000 bucks. Way too much money for a friggin tent if you ask me. Anyone found something cheaper?

· Registered
590 Posts
You can get a 3/4 piece of plywood and attach it to your roof for 20 bucks then buy the 4 person Coleman tent at Costco for 40 more bucks and set it up on there.

Post a pic when your done.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
I never understood the appeal of rooftop tents other than perhaps in a jungle full of poisonous critters. What happens if you have to pee in the middle of the night? Plus the roof & rack are really not rated for much weight... best to leave the rack to, at most, jerry cans,,,, The only thing I put on the rack are the light-but-bulky stuff: sleeping bags, tents, rolled up foam pads, perhaps a pack or 2.

· Registered
590 Posts
Serious,

It wouldnt work for me either because my dogs like to sleep near us.

Damned if Im throwing them on my shoulder and carrying them up into the tent on that tiny ass latter they provide you.

I like that 4X4 trailer I saw, just wish it had a rack for my KTM, it be perfect.

One of teh members here with a Gold D I has one similar to teh 4X4 one I have seen.

· Registered
590 Posts
You dont know?

Ill see if I can google one up.

· Registered
590 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, those are pretty rad. Damn pricey though....Fabricating one of those might be worth looking into, probably save a boatload of money by purchasing a cheap utility trailer, beefing it up a little bit and putting one of the aforementioned tents on it. You could diffenetly make room for a dirt bike. Thanks for the links.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
I have just bought a hanibal Roof tent several months ago. It is wicked!!! For those of you that do alot of camping it is perfect. Most places I go you could never get a trailer and if you are going for any length of time you certainly arnt going to pack up a tent and all the kit that goes with it in your Landy and take up what valuable space you have. On the Roof is perfect for me as I have a ladder going to my rack.It is as comfortable as my bed at home!!!It was originaly £1,200,but I got it for 350 because it was a demo on top of a new 130.Never been slept in.Supurb deal!!! Worth contacting the chaps at Nene Overland and ask about wether they have any demos.Could save you tons of cash on the best tent going!!!! [email protected]
or www.rooftent.co.uk

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
sky said:
Wow, those are pretty rad. Damn pricey though....Fabricating one of those might be worth looking into, probably save a boatload of money by purchasing a cheap utility trailer, beefing it up a little bit and putting one of the aforementioned tents on it. You could diffenetly make room for a dirt bike. Thanks for the links.
Hey Sky- I grew up in Seattle and miss it desperately!!!!!! Where abouts you livin'? I used to live on Lake Union for years.Loved it. Mariners are the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have we picked a Gov for the state YET????

· Registered
492 Posts
Surprised none of our South African members have not put in their few Rands worth here, so I will set it off for them

http://www.desert-wolf.com/

On my frequent trips to SA I always found myself visiting 4x4 accessory shops and trailer is something that I have frequently desired.

Roof top tents reduce stability and also access to car parks (as a friend of mine discovered when his wife drove their 110 into a car park last year and destroyed their Eezi Awn tent :bawling: )

Personally I use a Tent Cot (which I believe can be mounted on a roof - see Expedition Exchange website), quick to put up and take down again leaving more drinking time (beer of coffee depending on whether you are setting up or breaking down camp)

4,346 Posts
Roof-top tents are ideal for Florida camping. Raccoons wouldn't waste their time climbing up, no gator could ever get to you, and most of them set up in less then 5 minutes.

About the parking thing Searcaigh, don't know how high they are over in Dubai but here, you change the tire size on a stock Disco and you can forget about indoor parkings. Imagine having a Roof-Rack and a lift. With my STOCK Disco I almost got stuck at the movies because I somehow managed to get in, and during exit, took a different way around that in some areas looked as if the rails on the stock roof rack we going to hit. That night I damaged my Radio Antenna :shifty:

Those tent cots you mentioned from EE would be my alternative though.

Ibjettin, you should check out Searcaigh's site, club site, and team site. They are ALLl calendar worthy pics on there! :clap:

· Registered
709 Posts
Sorry to get off topic... ;)

Searcaigh, I thought it was a Nikon :D I've found that Nikon's images are real crisp. I have a Sony Cybershot 3.2 (DSC-P71) and I'm not happy with the image quality at all.

Our next digital is definately going to be the Nikon.

Visited your site :drink1: Niiiiiice images!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Series 3 Guy: I live in north Seattle, and although the city is beautiful, its expensive and the traffic sucks. In fact, traffic is so bad that I'm thinking of moving up north to Bellingham. As for the Mariners, well, they're doing okay right now (swept the Mets) but this is a terrible season. The Sonics on the other hand....Do you know any good places around here to do some wheelin?

sky

oh yeah, washington loves female government officials, so Gregoire won in a court decision.

· Registered
641 Posts
I've had good luck with my tent cot on top of my range rover. Keeps the critters away and if I put it on the side I have a nice little open area to lay out clothes/gear or whatever. I use a 48"x48" Surco safari rack.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
sky said:
Series 3 Guy: I live in north Seattle, and although the city is beautiful, its expensive and the traffic sucks. In fact, traffic is so bad that I'm thinking of moving up north to Bellingham. As for the Mariners, well, they're doing okay right now (swept the Mets) but this is a terrible season. The Sonics on the other hand....Do you know any good places around here to do some wheelin?

sky Most of my 4x4 experience has been in pierce county. My parents live there.I usualy go out towards Grahm,Puyallup,Orting or Lacamas area.There is alot of forestry land out that way with a ton of trails and the like. You might want to concider going out to Lacamas vie the fort lewis military reservation as there are some rather challenging tank trails to follow and alot of prarie dirt track to run up and down.Plus it's beautiful as hell being so close to Mt.Rainier natl park!!You should look on a map and try to find an area called copper creek near Mt.Rainier.About 5 miles outside the main park entrance.Great and challenging area.There is a good 4x4 park on the 101 outside Olympia as well.You should check out the yelm area too.ALOT of good stuff there :buttrock: too!!! Good luck. Yeah the traffic in Seattle is getting worse!! I was and still am a massive Sonics fan...they are looking sharp..

· Registered
492 Posts
AAXD,

Tent Cot looks good on top, have you ever jumped out for a pee in the middle of the night and broken a leg ... just joking, but that side of rooftop camping does worry me a bit :D

Ibjettin,

The crispness of the shots is probably more due to the lenses than the actual camera, however the image sensor on a Nikon SLR is almost as big as a 35mm slide (66% or thereabouts if I remember correctly which gives a x1.5 on standard lenses e.g 200mm becomes 300mm, fine for telephoto but buggers up wide angle)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.