Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning to circumnavigate the state of Oklahoma in our 1993 Range Rover LWB. While some of this travel will be on blacktop, a good portion of the north and west borders will be on barely maintained county gravel and dirt roads.

Thinking of bumps and vibration etc... is there anything I could or SHOULD do before the trip to prevent break downs?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sounds like a super trip you have planned. I have just got back from a tour down through France and Spain to Gibraltar and back in my 110. Like you some of it was tarmacked roads and some less than smooth tarmacked roads and then there were the gravel roads which I guess are akin to the back country roads you will be driving. Corrugations etc.

What I learnt is that first and foremost make sure you have everything secured in the vehicle. I opted for stackable boxes, cargo nets, load area guards, etc to keep the gear safely stowed. This level of preparation also helps safeguard the occupants should the worst happen.

Vehicle-wise, make sure your bushes, suspension, tyres, steering and brakes are in fine fettle. Corrugated bumpy gravel roads can and will take their toll on all of those components. So in that frame of mind take spares and tools just in case a ball joint goes. If you have heavy duty springs on your rig you may come to regret fitting them. I have to confess that I have just thrown away my +2" HD springs in favour of LR standard dual rated springs and quite frankly it was a stroke of genius on the trip to Gibraltar.

The trick to driving corrugated roads is speed, too slow and you'll be thrown around like a doll in a tumble dryer, get it right and you'll glide from bump to bump relatively smoothly. To that end, air down your tyres a little from hardtop pressures, a lot of the bumps can be absorbed by the tyres. Of course air up again once back on the hard top.

I suspect you have a V8 in that Rangie of yours so take along a spare set of HT leads, plugs, dizzy and points as the vibrations can shake things loose.

Above all pack the essentials; Gaffa (duck) tape, cable ties, jubilee clips, grease and amalgamating tape... ;)

The only other thing is to have a great time. Would love to tour the States in our 110 :rellye

·
Registered
843 Posts
Wow just realised you asked this back in May... If you have already gone, hope you're having a good time...

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are all great tips. Thank you.

We haven't left yet. We had some bumps in the schedule and are now looking for a weekend to go.

I have since found another trip I recently bought maps for. Apparently you can still drive from coast to coast on back roads (gravel and dirt) across the United States. I bought a section of maps for Oklahoma. I have a mate that is game for this trip. It looks really fun.

More as I get closer to pulling the trigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts