Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo All
I have owned many LR but never a Disco

All of my previous rovers were used on steep hills on my farm in NZ, and on unused logging tracks in the bush
I have some questions and I don't have time to wade (no pun) through this forum
I am planning a round world trip in a 2001 that I am buying(hopefully) in UK
I wish to know, are these new fangled gadgets reliable, ie eec, emc, (electronic engine control) can you sleep in em, that is do the rear seats fold down.
What things break, it is an auto, I don't trust any man gearbox after all the flaming nosie and chatter of even my last which had a Nissan diesel, sound enough engine, returned 9.5 km/l highway out of town
My other options are the Merc 300 turbo diesel estate, with no 4 wheel drive and the Audi quattro 2.5 turbo diesel estate, but dont like east west engines
I guess my big question is will a Disco TD5 do the job? baring in mind the totally isolated places I will be
I,m a qualified diesel engineer, but electronics are , well a black art form to me
thanks Stu
Australia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Stu,

I'm just "out of Africa" I've been to a lot of Land rover Dealers/workshops all around this continent, I was glad i had a TDi instead of a TD5, there where hardly any dealers with computers. So I think if you realy get troubles in the middle of know where with a TD5 it can be "not so nice".
Tdi parts are available all over Africa. take your own toolbox with you because it happend to me more than once that I had to provide the tools, even at a Land Rover dealer.
BTW I will be down under next year as part of my "word tour" in a Defender 110 300 Tdi

Cheers!

Emiel
www.dutch-courage.net

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
As diesel guy you will know the basics but my advice as tech is one, get the tools needed for all belt replacements. Bring along a laptop. what LR Uk can do is download their info into your pc and then you can buy the hardware to hook up to their systems to read codes and get an idea of what is going on. Then youcan reprogram pcs.

bring a satelite fone so you can call techline should you have a problem.

going around the world requires every thing already changed like fluids and the like. even it if it s a manual. also suitable materials to lift it should the need the arise. also some flat boards so if your in the mud the jack will work. Nest if possible see if you can get rid of the ignition swithch and hard wire it into a push button. That way you wnt need any key to start it. going off raod road means you will also need training in off roading and recovery technicques. LR gots the school for it.

and lets not forget getting an extra tank or two.

Australia is a big country with few gas stations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.