Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am hoping that someone can answer a question for me.
I have been told by a service station owner that I can run my series IIA 2 1/4 litre donk on straight ULP (without fuel additive). He further went on to say that ULP was once known as "Standard" petrol. Don't know if he's pulling my leg. Hoping someone out there in Rover Land can answer this puzzle for me.
rover mad. :drive:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think all leaded petrol engines will run on unleaded petrol.

Lead in petrol acts as an 'antiknocking agent', and it is this that can be added to unleaded as a lead replacement additive.

Landrover engines are pretty tough, so the increased wear and tear on the engine from not having lead will be minimal. youcan buy replacement cylinder heads (i thinks this is what needs to be changed) to convert to unleaded, although it may be worth while just waiting till your present one deteriorates to the point it needs changing.

have yo considered LPG as an alternative?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your input Lawnmower.
I have recently reconditioned my donk to new condition- new everything that can be fitted including the head. Your suggestion of LPG sound like a very good alternative.
Cheers! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Generally when older engines are run on unleaded the main cause of concern is valve seat recession. This is where the valve seat in the head slowly wears away and the valve recedes into the head. Rather than buying a new head, you can get your local engine reconditioner to fit seat inserts. These are hardened and solve the problem. Adjusting the timing is the other thing tro look at if it pings. Doesn't hurt to run an additive as well. I don't know what you have available in England as far as fuel catalysts. Here in Aussie we have what is called a Prozone. it fits in your fuel line like an inline filter and replaces the lead basically with trace elements and it works exceptionally well. I have a 1970 Ford ute with a highly modified 302 (5.0 litre) v8 ( i know it not a landrover but it is a good example of what a Prozone can do )that i run on unleaded with a Prozone. it improved performance and economy. They work equally as well on non modified engines as well. Email me if you want some info.
Rovers Go Bush

Pete :drive:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pete.
A.J.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Matthew.
A.J.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.