Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cannot shift into 4wd, shifter will not move. Have the repair manual which shows a small switch which releases the shifter when in Neutral. Anyone have experience with this. Didn't wantto tear into this if there are other thing to check.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Is this a Range Rover Classic? I take it you mean it won't shift into 4wd Low... as they are all 4 wheeld drive, all the time.

Serg

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
have you ever shifted it into Low before? If not then it's possible the linkage is frozen. I drove several Classics when I was looking for mine that would not shift into Low... Don't force it, but did you try what the manual recommends? I don't mean to be a smart ass... just want to make sure you are trying to do it correctly. :D

Serg:drive:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for quick replies

I've had the rover for three years, it has never shifted into low. I didn't want to force it. I've followed the manual instructions and it will not move from the High "H" position to "N" neutral position. Therefore I've really never got to the Low position since you have to get to neutral first. It never really bothered me since I use it for hunting and don't usually go too far off the dirt roads. I realize my post was not very clear, no offense taken. Tim

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Tim,
Have a mechanic clean and lube up your linkage and you should be fine. Rovers are known for their linkages to lock up from lack of use or dirt build up, should be an easy fix.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
While it's very true that the linkage is often rusted, There is an electic solonoid which also prevents shifting the transfer case into low range. There are two interlock relays beneath the rear end of the console which must be engaged before the solonoid will function. People often just remove the plunger from the solonid, rather than go through the tricky electrical diagnoisis. I am not certain which model year the solonoid interlock was installed, 91-92?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had that problem once. Was out drinking and couldnt move the lever. Turns out there was a wrench that fell inside so it was on the way

PS: that was just a fun fact

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was the interlock

While the linkage was rusty, the interlock was the problem. just ripped out the plunger and works fine. Just have to remember the interlock was there for a reason.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Can you describe for me what I'm looking for and what you did for this project? I must do the same to mine as I too cannot get it into LOW.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
xavitoLR said:
Had that problem once. Was out drinking and couldnt move the lever. Turns out there was a wrench that fell inside so it was on the way

PS: that was just a fun fact
Ok XavitoLR wins the prize for most entertaining post.. I am still cracking up// Hey was the truck rolling while you were trying to engage low?? sometimes I find it goes in easy when it rolling slowly...

·
Registered
489 Posts
As far as I know, only '93 on models had the solenoid interlock--maybe a late '92? My 92 was made in October '92 and I can put it in transfer neutral anytime I like, even when in Drive. I put it in Low every so often just to keep it free. I like this setup better than on the 4.0 where Hi-Lo-Neutral is electrically switched, with microswitches and get this--a computer to "decide" if its ok to go in low. Fortunantely mine works ok.

·
Registered
182 Posts
having same problem

Our 95 discovery is doing the same thing...wont go into low. Glad to hear that it is potentially an easy problem to fix. If it is a simple clean and lube job, is this a costly venture?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts