Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter fast approaching, I was just wondering if anyone has any good rover stories about driving in winter? I haven't done much wheeling in the white stuff, besides a few trips down some dirt roads but I was wondering how everyone sets their rovers up for cold weather operation. Anyone have any special mods to make winter a little more fun/tolerable? Last time I drove my rover hard in the snow I ended up sliding across a frozen pond in a nascar style spinout.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
AAXD said:
With winter fast approaching, I was just wondering if anyone has any good rover stories about driving in winter? I haven't done much wheeling in the white stuff, besides a few trips down some dirt roads but I was wondering how everyone sets their rovers up for cold weather operation. Anyone have any special mods to make winter a little more fun/tolerable? Last time I drove my rover hard in the snow I ended up sliding across a frozen pond in a nascar style spinout.
hehehe, last winter in the back yard...

http://kep1.com/images/RoverSnowAction%20Large.wmv

...was just having fun :D

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Nice keptin!!!!!! I'd post a pic but my scanner is broken...... I took my rover out to play in the snow and did what keptin did...I then started climbing the snowbanks..The best story I have is when Me and some buddies were on a trail called Eagle Rock..... The rover did great,nothing like rockcrawling on snow!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Thanks guys :)

roverX said:
I was in Reno last winter and can attest to how fun it is. I used mine as snow plow for other vehicles.
hehe, my vid was before the "real" snow came. It was by far the most incredible winter we have ever seen in reno (lived reno/lake tahoe 11 years). We left for vacation when there was a bit of snow and came back to our whole driveway and all 3 cars burried in it. It took me five hours or so but I used the rover as a plow to make a path for the other cars.

Ive never had a snow day off since I moved to reno up till that point; after that snow, we had a week and a half without school, plus another half week or so of half days (3 hour delays). We almost didnt have school for a month last december-jan.

·
Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
Here's my snow story:

Last year, we were expecting a mild snow storm, 1-2" max. Well it snowed 1-2" but it hit quick and put 2" of ice on the DC roads real quick. My fiance was driving home from work, the beltway was a lost cause, so she was on local roads. Going down a steep icy hill, she slides off the road over a ditch into the side of a parked truck. She was lucky in that she hit the wheel, so their wasn't much damage to her car. Anyhow, she calls roadside assistance and they tell her it would be AT LEAST 5 hours before a tow truck could reach her (there are a lot of dumb m*ther f*ckers who can't drive for sh*t in the DC area). So she calls me and i go out there to at least keep her company. At first I'm a little pissed as I've given her lots of pointers on how to drive in the snow so this shoudn't have happened, however, when I get to her car, I'm not as critical. This hill is steep and COVERED in ice. Kids are sledding down it it's such a good hill. Anyhow, I figure, I got the tow strap and plenty of time so might as well attempt it. I honestly didn't believe my 14 yr old range rover would be able to pull it out, the hill was that steep and slick, and I know the limits of my truck well. First attempt, nearly slide into her car. The second attempt, I put the right side of my truck in the ditch for better traction, and give it a fair bit of welly. To my sheer amazement and the stupified glances of the neighbord kids, I pull her car out of the ditch and UP this incredibly slick hill. We cancel the tow truck, leave her car parked, and pick it up the following morning.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One day we had a snowstorm in CT, probably about 4-5 inches of new snow overnight. I was visiting my mom and there were two brand new F-350's plowing her parking lot. One overzealous driver hit a snowbank too hard and the plow rode up overthe bank and then buried itself. After lots of digging, they decided to hook the other F-350 to the stuck one to pull it out. I watched them for about half an hour and the recovery truck was just spinning his wheels on the ice. I went out and offered to hook my winch cable to the back of his truck because I could park on firm ground. We got the 3 vehicle chain all set up and I started to winch in and to my amazement, pulled both trucks out, the driver of the second truck hadn't given it any power yet and the stuck truck was just in neutral. When the recovery truck saw that we were gaining ground, he decided to reverse a little and picked up speed so quickly that he nearly slammed into the front of my rover. When he realized how close he had come he drove forward, not realizing that I had been winching in cable to keep him from getting it wrapped in his axle. Before I had a chance to yell anything I felt a WHAM and my truck lurched forward under the strain of the truck moving forward. The hook on my cable was attatched to his trailer reciever and it actually bent the reciever. My end was an ARB bumper and a warn XD9000 which, to its credit, didnt recieve any damage at all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Arkansas has a lot more ice than snow. The first year I had my 1988 Range Rover, I put on a set of 235/85 Mud Kings for deer season. They were great in the mud. When Christmas came, we took the Rover to my Mom's house, only about 20 miles. The roads were fair when we left home, but coming back they were bad, just covered in a layer of freezing rain. Those mud tires were so skinny that I guess one lug was on the ground at a time. I did OK on flat parts of the freeway, but the hills were almost impossible. I drove over to the frontage roads and back dozens of times to avoid other stuck vehicles. But I did make it home. The Mud Kings were history. I got a set of 245/75 Dunlops and they worked great.

From then on, though, we used my wife's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with full time four wheel drive and anti-lock brakes. The Rover is definitely better off road, but the Jeep, being 11 years newer and more advanced, is better and safer on the ice.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
being the only dealership in the area that doesnt need to worry about getting there trucks stuck in any amount of snow and ice.

we got four dealerships on the lot and no problems whatsoever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.