Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again, the rover event that started it all for me. The first Land Rover event I ever attended was Rovers on the Rocks 5 years ago. I met some great folks and made some amazing friends from that event. It was at this event I first realized how truly friendly and great the Rover community is. I arrived and knew no one, by the end of the event I think I knew everyone, and felt like I had been a part of the group for my entire life.

This year is the first time for the event at Anthracite. Can't wait to run the LR3 on some new terrain with great friends then enjoy some great food from Buddy's.

This event is one that I will always make time for. I'll warn you though it can be addictive.

Here's the info straight from Lucky8

10-12 Nov 2017

Rovers on the Rocks 9
Old Rovers, New Rocks!

Trail rides Friday and Saturday with camping on-site at Anthracite.

Saturday during lunch we will have a brand new rock course competition. We will still run an Expedition class of under 33" tires and the Modified class with 33" and above tires. There is no cost to participate except the fees you normally pay to wheel at Anthracite. We will also be giving out prizes to particpants from our generous sponsors.

Saturday night we will have the award ceremony and prizes from our sponsors! Our sponsors for ROTR 9 include:
A 12k winch from Terrafirma 4x4 - Serious 4x4 Accessories and Upgrades for Land Rovers!
A hood blackout decal from Vigg Designs, Vehicle Marketing Pros. Inc. a bluetooth GAP Diagnostic tool, a ProSpeed LR3/LR4 rear ladder,
Front Runner Outfitters is giving away some wolf boxes,
Britpart is donating the very hot LR3/LR4 stainless steel brake lines, Ashcroft is donating an air locker, Factor 55 is donating a $100 gift certificate, and even more to come!

The daily entrance fee is $30.00 for the vehicle and driver. Children are $10
4100 State Route 125 Coal Township, PA 17866-7806 http://www.anthraciteadventure.com/aoaa/TheTrailhead/BeforeYouRide.aspx

Camping will be at Trailhead and we get a $10 discount.
Trailhead Campground
use discount code Lucky8 at checkout

A group Dinner on Saturday night will be $20 food provided by Buddy's Log Cabin get your meal ticket here -> https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/rovers-on-the-rocks-8-meal-ticket

More details to come!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
Looks like a great event!

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a fantastic time, year after year it keeps me coming back

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like they had event stickers made for this year.

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got to make it a matching pair....

:D

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my spot reserved at the camp ground the discount code Lucky8 basically was 50% off.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a heads up we are about a week away and they will be closing out the orders for dinner soon. So if you want food time to get that order in.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only a week to go.

Got a new to me tent looking forward to testing it out.

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the truck cleaned out and half packed to go. Need to do a bit more organizing. Tomorrow over to the auto craft center to rotate the tires, change fluid in the diffs and TC. Possibly a new set of front brake pads.

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
I assume you would be taking your 06 on this one?
How many miles for you to get there from Georgia?

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got it the 06 is the DD and lately the off road toy.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like it will be a chilly weekend especially for those of us that are camping out.

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scored a Coleman Big Game -5 sleeping bag for $50 over at Academy Sports on clearance.

Just 2 days till the fun begins, truck is packed and I'm heading north as soon as I get off duty tomorrow!

Only 706 miles...... doh.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made it around 1145 am today. Long slow drive since I was towing another Rover behind the LR3.

So first thing I got my tent set up and quickly realized I forgot my cot. Luckily for me Justin had a spare I could borrow. Then it was off to the trails.

Anthracite is awesome, lots of great trails some really slick rocks and some great scenery. I spent my afternoon with Brent Justin and Erik helping lay out the Rock course for the competition tomorrow. It is going to be wildly different than the course of previous years. Thankfully I have heard of no Rover suicide runs this year.

Once that was done we were back in the main tent for some snacks, drinks, steak and mac'n'cheese. Then off to the Lucky8 mobile parts store to chat and enjoy some wind free warmth thanks to the MrBuddy heater.

Now a bit of time to relax and get some rest for the road weary like myself.

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Saturday of the event, after a seriously cold night I think I was told it hit a low of 11 degrees. (side note the -5 Coleman bag did great I lived but -5 might be optimistic)

The rock challenge was the on deck for the morning. So after a hearty breakfast from Dunkin Donuts just down the road and a quart of piping hot coffee in my hands we went to the staging area to get the briefing and roll out to the rock challenge course. Brent in the White disco had assisted in laying out the 34" tire and up course and I had done the test runs for the 33" and below course in the LR3.

Both courses were challenging , it was for lowest time, penalties were assessed for off course and backing up, so nailing the line and doing it smooth and quick was the key for success.

Challenger after challenger came for the 33 and under class and in the end David Bierd came away with the win in one very clean run with about a 2 second gap between him and second place. Everyone had a great time and for the most part came away with no damage.

Now for the 34" and bigger class their course was quickly named "metal masher" There was hard hit after hard hit on both rocks and trees as the big trucks hammered through the course. There was body damage and a exo cage saving the day with one truck slamming the cage into a tree while it was on two wheels. Mr Toads wild ride didn't have anything on that one. In the end it came down to 2 competitors with almost indentical times. The decider was the one second penalty for off course. So the win went to Randy Williams of Roverbones.

Everyone after the competition set off to continue to explore all the trails Anthracite has to offer.

At 630 with a gas heater up and running dinner was served and shortly after that the raffle began. There were some fantastic prizes. A TerraFirma 12k winch, Ashcroft locker Tom Woods driveshaft, GAP IID Tool, etc. Each person that registered got 1 ticket and each person that ran the Rock Course got another. It was a great meal and a lot of fun. Than the awards for the Rock Course to announce the winners to end the official event.

The bonfire raged against the cold the beer flowed and talk of rovers filled the night. The comradery of the Rover community will never cease to amaze me. Within minutes everyone is old friends and the group welcomes everyone. It is really a great community we have.

So mark your calendars it's every year on Veterans day weekend.

As a currently serving member of the Armed Forces, I can think of no finer way to spend that weekend. There is something about driving across country seeing all the beauty our wonderful home has to offer us. The ability to enjoy it all without hassle or checkpoints. The amazing mountains with the sunrising over them. The leaves changing in the valley below with a river winding through it all. The history of Pennsylvania mining laid out for you to explore.

A lot of what makes Veterans Day special to those that have served, is the unspoken bond that forever unites those of us in our profession, if it was for 4 years or 30 we are all forever brothers and sisters.

It teaches us that family isn't always by blood but by bond. I can think of no finer way to spend that holiday than with my small group of brothers in the Rover Community enjoying a cold drink, enjoying our time away from it all, surrounded by rover parts......

Attachments

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also I hope all my Brothers and Sisters in uniform had a exceptional Veterans Day.

Next up Winter Romp, in February 2018 mark those calendars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts