Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which spring should i buy? Rovertym or Big Blue? Steve...you are not allowed to answer hahahaha! j/k I have heard that the flex is better with the big blues, but i have also heard great things from Rovertym folks. Any Advice?

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know the worms are open...hahaha...i can't decide how high to go either!!! i wish they offered a 2.5 in. lift in the big blues!!!

· Banned
907 Posts
drum655 said:
Which spring should i buy? Rovertym or Big Blue? Steve...you are not allowed to answer hahahaha! j/k I have heard that the flex is better with the big blues, but i have also heard great things from Rovertym folks. Any Advice?
If your comparing a RTE HD spring to a BB MD spring, than I'd say your right about the flex. But, if you compare a MD to MD spring, then I don't think that's right, and I'd like to see it proven other wise.

I'm not a fan of a "flexy" truck. That's why I prefer a HD spring. Actually, I'm kinda biased on articulation....I like the down travel, but would rather limit the up-travel. Yet, it's hard to do on a road driven truck as it will bottom out often, and makes for a harsh ride.

Here is a pic of a RRC with 2" BB springs after one year. Notice there is NO winch, heavy bumper, sliders, etc etc to weight down the truck. The pic is worth 1000 words.

That truck belongs to Sven, who is also on this BBS. He now has RTE, if that tells you anything.

Here is Jason Bard.

He looks like a happy camper, huh......Well, he now has RTE springs.

Anyway, it's your truck, you can do what you want to and no one can change your mind. This vender can tell you this, and that vendor can tell you that....But, when it comes down to taking care of ****, and making **** happen, other companies stand out with a very nice product.

One other company not to over look is www.4x4ag.com He has some nice stuff too.

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is that scorpion racing stuff...i have not heard too much about it!

· Banned
907 Posts
drum655 said:
how is that scorpion racing stuff...i have not heard too much about it!
From what I've seen of their lifts, it's pretty sexy ****. It's not real big here in the US....

I'm digging the DeCarbon shocks, and I plan on trying a set soon. I don't know much about their springs.

I'm not a big fan on the sliders, just because they're more "HD" versions avaliable (RTE and Slickrock). But if your sticking to the more tame trails, their fine and of equel construction of others on the market.

· Registered
295 Posts
Hank said:
From what I've seen of their lifts, it's pretty sexy ****. It's not real big here in the US....

I'm digging the DeCarbon shocks, and I plan on trying a set soon. I don't know much about their springs.

I'm not a big fan on the sliders, just because they're more "HD" versions avaliable (RTE and Slickrock). But if your sticking to the more tame trails, their fine and of equel construction of others on the market.

DeCarbon are huge POS's. My SS came wih a new set of DeCarbon's, and they sucked. Badly. I replaced them with a set of HD Bilsteins (the same kind that came in the 87-90 Caprice police cars), and it handled 1000% better. I know, it's car v. truck, but if those shocks couldn't handle a 4klb car... lets just say I don't have any faith in them.

BB v. RTE: I'm getting some BB's, and part of the reason being that I can't afford to pay 4-500+ for springs, so $230 for a set of 4 sounds pretty damn attractive right now.

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know this may sound dumb...but how would the RTE springs do with the pro-comp shocks. I know the pro comps aren't known for being an awesome shock, but they are much cheaper and will help me get started with my project. or could i get the RTE springs and keep my stock shocks until i have the money for an upgrade?

· Banned
907 Posts
DiscoTex said:
DeCarbon are huge POS's. My SS came wih a new set of DeCarbon's, and they sucked. Badly. I replaced them with a set of HD Bilsteins (the same kind that came in the 87-90 Caprice police cars), and it handled 1000% better. I know, it's car v. truck, but if those shocks couldn't handle a 4klb car... lets just say I don't have any faith in them.
Yeah, My ex-girlfriends dad was a "Impala Head". He swapped his DeCarbons for some Bil's too. I think that's a common thing with those cars. GM produced that car to attract to the "Grandpops" yet stuffed it with a radical engine. It was part of that whole "float like a caddy" ride but with mega power to play with. Either way, those shocks were way too soft for that car. It's apples to oranges.

One thing I don't like about the Decarbons is the rubber bushings. Either way, I'd like to give them a shot just to see for myself. You don't see too many set's floating around....They won't compair to a 7100 or FOX I know, but I still like to check a set out.

· Registered
70 Posts
BB vs. RT

just my .02....
on my 96 D1 (work in progress one) Im running Rtym 3in HDs with Rancho shocks up front and procomp shocks in the rear, no complaints of any sort, except that I should have gotten the arms as well.

on my daily driver 96 D1 Im running hd (3") BBs, with the same shock set up (ranchos and procomps) I think the ride is a bit nicer on road and I think an "easier" flex offroad ...ie, I dont seem to have as much noise with the BBs.

The "work in progress" D1 is getting sold at the end of the month, with the springs, on a positive note, they have not sagged at all, where as I think my BBs have lost about 1/2 inch in the past year or so, but that could be the beating they take and the bumpers, winches and heavy loads.

Something else to look at is the "Green Monsters" from Northwest parts (I think). A good friend had these on his RRC and they were sweet, stiff on the road for good handling and they easily compressed and dropped off road.

I have heard good things about the scorpion set up, but if I remeber right, last time I looked into them it was about a 9 month wait. Im too impatient for that....

Take that for what its worth... I have extreme confidence in RoverTym, they are the only company that is making a good body lift and all their stuff has been engineered to install easily and work reliably.

--Corey

· Banned
907 Posts
drum655 said:
i know this may sound dumb...but how would the RTE springs do with the pro-comp shocks. I know the pro comps aren't known for being an awesome shock, but they are much cheaper and will help me get started with my project. or could i get the RTE springs and keep my stock shocks until i have the money for an upgrade?
I'm sure they would "do" fine. But, if I were you, I'd save my pennies and opt for the better shock. I don't like the Pro Comps or the Rancho's. I don't know a whole lot about the DeCarbons. The upper end bil's or FOX shocks are your best bet for a shock thats going to last you a long, long time.

Keep an eye out on here, Dweb, EE, etc... for used shocks. Every now and then you see a set of 7100's selling at less than half price. Or, ask Steve at Rovertym what he has. Last time I was in there he had a pretty good collection of shocks.

· Registered
70 Posts
You will get none of the flex with stock shocks. you may actually end up maxing out your travel rather quickly depending how big your springs are. I would seriously consider the rancho/procomp set up. Ranchos are in the 80-90 a shock range and the procomp 9000 are like $45 each. They take a hell of a beating and keep on going. Consider that I pretty consistantly (weekly?) load the Disco up with 500-700lbs of gear and then get off road and beat the living hell out of it and I have only had one problem and that was when I broke the stud off the procomp, but they replaced it free of charge even after 20 months of use. Rancho also has a great warranty.
Ive never run the Fox shocks, so I cant speak to that, but my experience with the Ranchos and Procomps has been excellent... oh and it was Rovertym that recommended the ranchos and sent me the procomps.

· Registered
388 Posts
Hank said:
Here is a pic of a RRC with 2" BB springs after one year. Notice there is NO winch, heavy bumper, sliders, etc etc to weight down the truck. The pic is worth 1000 words.

That truck belongs to Sven, who is also on this BBS. He now has RTE, if that tells you anything.

Yeah that pic was old too. Later on, the front drivers side collapsed an inch more after a day of some mild wheeling. I had plain yellow Bilsteins with those.

One good thing about the BB's is the ride...very nice. But the sagging sucks. I guess if you never plan to go offroad, then the BB's are for you. The RTE also come in medium and heavy duty if ride quality is still a concern

· Registered
388 Posts
one_bad_rover said:
I think you got a crap set of BBs, did you buy them new or used? I havent seen anything like what I saw in that pic.. maybe they have better quality control now?? Did you send them back for a refund?? Cause that is a definate defect and not normal operation.
I bought them new in 2003.

· Banned
907 Posts
one_bad_rover said:
I think you got a crap set of BBs, did you buy them new or used? I haven't seen anything like what I saw in that pic.. maybe they have better quality control now?? Did you send them back for a refund?? Cause that is a definite defect and not normal operation.
You said yours have sagged too. It's a common thing with BB's, like with the old RTE's. Yours did not sag because of the "beating", they sagged because they suck.
Here is abuse, in extreme form. Still, after 2-years, no sagging.

That's a little bit more than 500-700 pounds;)

· Registered
295 Posts
Hank said:
RTE's are only 295.00...not 4-500.00+ ;)
Hank said:
One other company not to over look is www.4x4ag.com He has some nice stuff too.
I was thinking about Scorpion's and OME's.:dunno:

Hank said:
Yeah, My ex-girlfriends dad was a "Impala Head". He swapped his DeCarbons for some Bil's too. I think that's a common thing with those cars. GM produced that car to attract to the "Grandpops" yet stuffed it with a radical engine. It was part of that whole "float like a caddy" ride but with mega power to play with. Either way, those shocks were way too soft for that car. It's apples to oranges.
Well, actually, those shocks weren't that soft to begin with. If anything, they felt a bit tighter than my previous 9C1, but they just sucked. They started leaking after 6 months of being under the car, and felt like driving a pogo stick 4 months later.

Maybe the ones for trucks are different, but I wouldn't pay for them. Plus, they have to be imported, right?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.