Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
G4 Mike
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some research on flushing the power steering system on my 2004 Discovery G4 as I was curious as to methods people had used and what fluid to use. I saw alot of people like to use the Land Rover fluid which is approximately $33 a quart or the very hard to find Texaco fluid that Land Rover recommends. Also read that some people use use ATF but I didn't feel comfortable with that. I then saw someone was using Royal Purple fluid, $6 for 12 oz. So I jumped on the Royal Purple website and asked them if they recommended their fluid for a 2004 Discovery. I got a nice reply today.

James Morrissey <[email protected]>
To strapason Today at 10:12 AM
Good morning Michael,

Thank you for contacting us!

Yes, Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326 , 12oz bottle) is exactly what we recommend for your 2004 Land Rover Discovery power steering system. Max EZ will definitely mix and be compatible with any amount remaining of the previous Texaco Cold Climate PAS 14315 power steering fluid. A complete drain or a complete flush is not required.

Max EZ: Max EZ® ? Power Steering Fluid | Royal Purple

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple!

Best Regards,

James Morrissey

Sr. Automotive Technical Support

So I thought I would share that with the group. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nobody in Austin Texas sells anything larger than a quart of synthetic steering fluid. Outrageous prices. Anyway. I had already grabbed the two Lucas w/conditioner when I started this #merrygoroundtownfornothing (I’ve added an attachment.)
Ended up settling on the Lucas Oil Products Power Steering Fluid. My last stop, Autozone, had it in quarts for $6.29 (or the 12oz 2for$6.). The Purple and Prestone Synthetic were $12.99 each! That $6 deal was like Toni the Tiger. I am not having problems with pump, noise, nor steering, but it was boiling the other day. So, trouble is around the corner if we wait too long to do what must be done. Appreciate all you guys. Y’all help a lot. And by the way: “Lucas...MADE IN AMERICA SOLD TO THE WORLD.” Lol. Only thang beats that is “Lone Star & Shiner Beer (you can figure it out).” [additional info: my ignition/plug wires and PEL...Tstat came in the mail today from British Atlantic..dad-burn Chinese parts!] Happy Thanksgiving you Turkeys! Grateful for y’all. From Texas with Love, me ‘n my 03D2SE7

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nobody in Austin Texas sells anything larger than a quart of synthetic steering fluid. Outrageous prices. Anyway. I had already grabbed the two Lucas w/conditioner when I started this #merrygoroundtownfornothing (I’ve added an attachment.)
Ended up settling on the Lucas Oil Products Power Steering Fluid. My last stop, Autozone, had it in quarts for $6.29 (or the 12oz 2for$6.). The Purple and Prestone Synthetic were $12.99 each! That $6 deal was like Toni the Tiger. I am not having problems with pump, noise, nor steering, but it was boiling the other day. So, trouble is around the corner if we wait too long to do what must be done. Appreciate all you guys. Y’all help a lot. And by the way: “Lucas...MADE IN AMERICA SOLD TO THE WORLD.” Lol. Only thang beats that is “Lone Star & Shiner Beer (you can figure it out).” [additional info: my ignition/plug wires and PEL...Tstat came in the mail today from British Atlantic..dad-burn Chinese parts!] Happy Thanksgiving you Turkeys! Grateful for y’all. From Texas with Love, me ‘n my 03D2SE7
I want to correct me, the purple was $6.99 for 12oz. The $12.99 for 12oz bottle of purple had another application. One our Discoveries need as well, ‘Ice super coolant.’ Still too rich for me. Ouch!

·
G4 Mike
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy Thanksgiving Jim.
When the pump goes the best deal I found was the Cardone select on Rock Auto for about $220, same pump as O'Reilly sells for $350. It's worked great so far.

·
Expert Crate Digger
170 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts