Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 Disco I is a great vehicle, with 200K on it, but this problem is beyond me and looking for some advice. While it starts and idles great, it can't get past ~1750 rpm, just backfires and sputters, when returned to idle its fine, silky smooth rpms. Because 1750 is default limit for bad TPS, chose to just r&r TPS. DVM says 0.7 - 4.3 (WOT) VDC, which I believe is ok. (and what I saw before, so now I have a spare TPS) Changing out crank shaft position sensor next, since I broke lead while inspecting it. (cover fasteners are inaccessible, just going to break cover off)

Any advice appreciated. I love my D1 but have seen a few threads with same symptoms, and more parts replaced, but no solutions. Hoping someone has conquered this before.

Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check fuel pressure. The is a Schrader valve on passenger side of intake manifold to screw in fuel pressure tester. Should hold steady running at 37-41lbs. Fuel filter is in right rear wheel well area. You did not mention any codes. No codes is usually fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Fuel rail was at 40 psi, but was a good suspect.

Solved - there were never any codes. It was the crank position sensor, loose in its mounts and wires were just down to a few strands. So, while not failed the ECU was having a tough time with that sensor's output. It's all good now, runs smooth as silk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.