Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's the idea:
Put a Ford 4.9L i6 in a RR Classic.
Ford shipped that engine in the Bronco with a ZF 5 speed. So making it compatible with the existing ZF 4 speed shouldn't be an issue. If I wanted to keep the tranny.

It's only 3/4 of an inch longer then the Rover V8, so there shouldn't be a size issue.
260hp and 190ft.lbs. of torque. Not much more then the 3.9 V8, but that's not the point.

The point would be, parts availability and cost. You can find parts for an old Bronco in any junkyard or parts store in the US. And the engine itself can be acquired for less then $500 in running condition.

What do you think?

·
very disco
1,975 Posts
I would applaud this feat from the perspective of taking the road less traveled. I love seeing people do what they want to do, despite normalcy or indication.
That being said, I do love keeping an immaculate specimen.
when I stepped away from LR to run in the jaguar circle, everybody was scrapping their problematic V12 for a Chevy 350 or even the facelift AJ6... in my eyes the real winners were those who had solid performing v12s and took their lumps to get there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would applaud this feat from the perspective of taking the road less traveled. I love seeing people do what they want to do, despite normalcy or indication.
That being said, I do love keeping an immaculate specimen.
when I stepped away from LR to run in the jaguar circle, everybody was scrapping their problematic V12 for a Chevy 350 or even the facelift AJ6... in my eyes the real winners were those who had solid performing v12s and took their lumps to get there.
I completely agree with you. There's a lot to be said about fully restoring an amazing vehicle like that.
But for a daily driver, that Ford engine is pretty hard to beat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts