Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 1991 RR with 169K and have some suggestions.

1) My 3.9l runs dirty and there is a dinky oil filter off the front of engine. I can tell this by the weight of filter (old vs. new) as I change the oil myself. (For reference I also do my Porsche 911 and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe).

At about 94K I started getting tappet noise and only 1K miles per quart.

I started oil changes every 1K with double size WIX 51459* (there is a FRAN cross reference also or PH1 will do but only 50% larger than stock). Oil GTX 20W50 in Northern California. Did this about 10 times then gradually increase to every 3,500 miles adding only one quart after 1,500 miles.

* This filter cleared the front cross member but needed rubber strap wrench.

NOW it's running SWEET, almost inaudible at idle.

I can easily see the engine lasting another 100K.

2) Another high mileage suggestion; I have been draining the transmission every "other" oil change. Sooo....simple,a drain plug in the center of transmission pan. Do it at oil change so no extra mess.

I assume previous owner changed it at 30K as scheduled and I had it changed at 60K. I started this at 148K and have done 5 times so completely flushed; much smoother shifts, running quiet. I'll probably back off to every third oil change.

Total capacity is 9.5 quarts (previous error said 8) but only 4+ quarts come out. Balance stays in torque converter. Dextron III ... buy gallon + 1 quart. Pour in the gallon and top off ~1/3 quart after checking level (mine is cold idle in Park after shifting thru the gears).

I wish I had known how easy this was and started sooner. These transmission are expensive and the gallon of Dextron III is only $6 at Kragen.

I do not replace transmission filter since it requires removing tail pipe from exhaust manifold <can you believe it> and a bolted cross member. <THEN frame must be SPREAD !> The repeated changes not only refreshes fluid (50% each time) it gradually transports out the very fine partical sluge that resides in the bottom of the pan. (I changed my 1997 Chevy Tahoe at 105K and wiped it out with a rag. Unfortunately the chevy has no drain plug so changing is Very Messy Job.)

Don't completely FLUSH (this cleans and replaces 100% fluid) as I have heard of some problems with slippage afterwards. The above is nice gradual cleaning. You'll see the fluid get more clear each time until about 5th change.

·
Registered
139 Posts
that is awesome, awesome.

I only run 20/50 lucas and change it every 3k with only 300k. I had the same issue.. but with fanatical changing.. it can do wonders..

I suggest you put the same faithful changing into the cooling system adding watter wetter too.. and the diff's oil..

You'll see higher MPG..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea, I now drain radiator and renew anti-freeze every 1-1.5 years. I only drain whatever comes out of the lower hose and don't flush. (lazy)

I was 'not' doing this and the radiator got clogged at 105K. Wife overheated it and blew top radiator hose. My British shop put on new hose assuming bad hose. Wife took it our on highway hot summer day (with air on) overhaeted it and blew out heater core and sucked in a valve (back passenger side, hotest).

Valve job was done, THEN the shop realizes the RADIATOR needs replacement.

It was later when they couldn't fix the ABS system, that I took full maintenance into my own hands. (That's a story for another time.)

Watter wetter; Redline says reduces temp by 30 degrees. But temp is set by thermostat unless running out of heat transfer capacity (why do it?).

Why change diff fluid if not forgeing rivers ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
glenncof said:
Watter wetter; Redline says reduces temp by 30 degrees. But temp is set by thermostat unless running out of heat transfer capacity (why do it?).QUOTE]

The thermostat opens at a certain temp allowing water flow, but it does nothing to prevent the water temp from rising much higher, and possibly overheating.

-Coach

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coach,

Agreed, it would help me when I was overheating due to clogged radiator.

Seems like a good idea for people pulling trailers in the mountains and perhaps off-roading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts