Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have designed and am fabricating a spare wheel bracket to stand in the left hand corner of the P38 loadspace (similar to that in the Classic). It will enable the wheel to be clamped vertically. I have a 90 litre LPG donut tank in the spare wheel well and have travelled on short trips with no spare wheel. On long trips its either been loose on the rear floor or jammed behind the driver's seat - neither is safe or desirable.

It will bolt to the floor in place of the CD changer which, if still required (mine is long gone - replaced by an in-dash unit) and also utilises the tie-down bolt hole (hidden under the carpet if you don't have a tie-down. It is made from 5mm steel plate and will either be black powder coated, zinc anodised (gold colour) or galvanised. The wheel will stand vertically with a large, hand usable clamp holding it safe and sturdy. The space behind the bracket will enable storage of the jack, jack handle and wheel-brace removing the need to access the under floor storage.

I'll post some pix soon.

Anyone interested? I need at least 7 orders to make it cost effective to produce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Prototype completed

Completed. Have 'over-engineered' it using 4mm steel plate. It has a 460x175mm floor plate using the original tie-down points for strength and the CD changer mounting holes for lateral stability.

I have spray painted it (roughly) but if I can get enough interest to make 7+ they'll be powder coated. Price will be around AU$350 depending on volume.

See pics. In one of them I have a 4 tonne bottle jack, jack handle and wheel brace strapped into the back of the carrier tower. I am also looking at making a colour matching soft cover to go over the wheel once fixed in place.

If anyone is interested let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another option for you guys in the UK and EU is instead of making and shipping a unit I could sell each of you the engineering diagram (like a software license) for £100.00 and you could give it to a local steel fabricator to have it made up. This would save a substantial amount of money and time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.