Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
if anyone can help me with this problem I will be eternally greatful!! I have a 2002 hse 4.4 range rover, basically the coolant is pressurising I initially thought it was a head gasget( although the car is not overheating at all) but on arrival at my local land rover dealer to pick up my head gasget set, I was flippantly told that they thought it was a Nikasil problem? which has been a problem with bmw engines for a while? I have since been told that the 4.4's put into range rovers shouldn't have this problem becuase there not Nikasil coated? I am faced with a hefty bill either way but i just need some unbiased advise.

Thankyou in advance,

Anthony.
P.S. I do not want to sell this car and pass the problem onto someone else, this has been the most common answer to my problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
more info.

:cool: Can you give me some more info, On your problem from the beginning , it looks like something is missing in your explanation .please if possible to be more specific so we can analyze seriously the problem and give you a better answer. :dunno:
Saludos
Pascal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The BMW engines had nikasil problems between 93-95, supposedly with everything sorted by 97. The nikasil block for BMW was primarily on the 4.0L V8 that was first introduced. by 2002, they stopped making anything nikasil related, so I would highly doubt the Range would have a problem with it.

Also, Jaguar had a nikasil issue on their first v8's, I know it was an issue on the 1998 Jaguar XJR (I almost bought one till I found this out).

The issue for BMW was not the nikasil engine per se, it was the sulpherous gas in the United States, that would corrode the cylinder walls. My last vehicle had a nikasil engine, and it never had any issues because it was run on Premium Fuel since new... Once we had the fuel shortage last year, (two years ago?) Premium was unavailable, and I had to run 87 for a few weeks, at that time my engine developed the nikasil 'knock' at cold start which was the primary complaint. I never heard of any cooling system troubles from nikasil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.