Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've read through pretty much all the posts on what people are doing for engine swaps for more HP/TQ and I just wanted to get some opinions and experiences. My 4.2 is running sweet as a nut right now, so I'm in no rush, but I'd like to eventually get a lot more power in her someday, so I'm researching.

It sounds like the Chevy 350 is a decent choice for NAS models because of the readily available performance parts domestically (US). So that's interesting to me. Either way, with a significant enough increase in power it sounds like it would be wise to beef up any load-bearing powertrain components. I like the idea of building a motor myself in the garage, but having never done it before I know it's a bad idea ;-)

Also the Eaton supercharger kit is interesting to me because it can be used on my existing 4.2 - theoretically meaning a simpler install / less adapting. But the 4.6 is looking pretty sweet right now too.

While having readily available parts is important to me, I'm interested in opinions about reliability of the different motor options. Which would you say - all things being equal - is the most reliable motor between the LR 4.2, 4.6, Isuzu 3's, Chevy 350 / LS, etc?

I'm hoping to find a decent balance of performance increase, reliability and domestically available parts. I'd expect to spend between $10-20k paying someone to do it for me.

Any info and discussion very welcomed!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your motor is a bit big for the Eaton 62 supercharger - which will fit under your bonnet. It is only rated up to 4 litres.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
If you want that sort of power, buy something like a Ford or Chevy with it in. The whole car is set up for the power it has. Put too much more power through it and you have to start upgrading everything in the drivetrain, including brakes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your motor is a bit big for the Eaton 62 supercharger - which will fit under your bonnet. It is only rated up to 4 litres.
Oh - I hadn't read that. Can you explain what that means - too big? Why?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want that sort of power, buy something like a Ford or Chevy with it in. The whole car is set up for the power it has. Put too much more power through it and you have to start upgrading everything in the drivetrain, including brakes.
I know. I completely understand that. And you're right - but then it wouldn't be a Range Rover ;-)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In your opinion, is the stock 200hp the most it can safely handle? The RRC never came with the 4.6 IIRC.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Plenty of folks have dropped the 4.6 in with no issues, so if you want to go that route you'll be fine. What I think Ian is driving at is a 300+ hp small block 350 will start blowing up your driveline in short order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plenty of folks have dropped the 4.6 in with no issues, so if you want to go that route you'll be fine. What I think Ian is driving at is a 300+ hp small block 350 will start blowing up your driveline in short order.
That sounds like a pretty straightforward route. I'm not after 300hp - probably 50 more than stock would make a world of difference. My RRC had a new Magnaflow XL cats & exhaust when I bought it. Maybe a Crower cam & ignition would satisfy me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
In your opinion, is the stock 200hp the most it can safely handle? The RRC never came with the 4.6 IIRC.
You were not talking about a std 4.6. Yes it will handle a 4.6 as I have one in my Rangie and one in the disco.

But they upgraded the Auto when they went 4.6. The autos have proven to have half their normal life when you put only slightly more power through them. I started snapping axles when I went from 3.54's to 4.11's. That the equivalent of about 15% more pressure on the axles.

So what I am saying is that you will end up chasing your arse in upgrades if you go much more than the power of a 4.6.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were not talking about a std 4.6. Yes it will handle a 4.6 as I have one in my Rangie and one in the disco.

But they upgraded the Auto when they went 4.6. The autos have proven to have half their normal life when you put only slightly more power through them. I started snapping axles when I went from 3.54's to 4.11's. That the equivalent of about 15% more pressure on the axles.

So what I am saying is that you will end up chasing your arse in upgrades if you go much more than the power of a 4.6.
Thanks for the info, I think I'd be happy with the stock 4.6. No arse-chasing desired over here ;-)

Is that upgraded auto the one that came bolted to the 4.6 as stock?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts