Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: GDay All,
I brought a series 3 6 months ago and paid $2500. Since then Ive spent $1600 getting it past rego,$800 in tyres,$300 on mirrors,$200 on exhaust and $600 on rego. I,m not complaining cause I love the Landy but does this seem normal?
Also I would like to know about the rules for waving to other Landies on the road. I own a 1973 series 3 and always get a wave out of other series owners but the newer models tend to be less friendly.Im in the Blue mountains west of Sydney and we have our fair share of wankers up here so Im wondering if its just them or city folks daytripping. Damo :drive:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Years ago, when the only Land Rover inthe States was a series truck, we all waved at eachother. Defender drivers pretty much wave at any old Landy, Freelander drivers are pretty friendly too, they are often funloving people just joining the ranks, might be wishing they owned something bigger, not that they need to, and don't seem to have some bone up their A$$ about being "correct" Many, if not the majority of Disco drivers don't wave, not because they're snooty, but because often, they have no idea there are other models of Land Rovers. Soccor moms think they're getting hit on, business dad's think they've got something wrong and you're trying frantically to wave them down. Classic drivers almost always wave, at other classic drivers. New Style Rangie drivers are too busy talking on their cellphone, fighting off indigestion from that power lunch, or wondering if this is the month that the mortgage and car payment are on the same day. I'm dying to see what LR3 (Series 3 Disco) drivers do. On any given day I might be driving a Defender 110, a RRC LWB or a Disco. The same people that wave to me one day, look right through me the next day. I don't wave at anybody anymore. I just give them a blink on the headlights, or occassionally, the finger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have found that here in South Africa all the Series and 95 percent of the Defender drivers wave a greeting or flash lights. Disco and Rangies don't at all, which doesn't bother me. I drive a Series and most times when I park somewhere someone comes over and chats. The other day I was in the green grocer when a guy came in asking if I drove the Land Rover parked outside. Bit worried at first to admitting it in case it had rolled down the hill into his car. Half an hour later we were still talking about Land Rovers.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Terry you nailed it!!! Too funny & too real.
I got my first wave a couple of weeks ago driving thru Connecticut... it felt good. :wave:
I'm always on the look out for others.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Damn Kevin ! It was either me or one of the other five of us wavers in CT.
If I had known you were going thru, I would have gone to the overpass and waited to wave to you !
My wife just went thru Portland on her way to Bangor about 6 hours ago.

You would have loved the 85 RRC that came for a visit last wednesday, 4 speed and all!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
In Australia, if you flash your lights, it means there's cops up ahead, and to stick up your middle finger means your horns broken.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Out of town we give all Landie drivers a wave. It's a bit of a game. Results are mixed. Rangies never wave, unless they are beat up.
However once you get into the real bush everybody waves. It would be an insult if they did't return the compliment. All trucks, all makes.
Anyone stopped you slow down to see if they're OK. Best I saw was up on the cape, a SWB 40 series Toyo getting a Rangie back on the road. That Rangie was happy to accept any help he can get.
Incidentally out here Rangies have their own exclusive clubs.
I do have Rangie friends!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Damo foe one thing there is no such thing as normal when it comes to a land rover especially the series models. I don't about the money to do with the rego as in WA we don't have to take our cars over the pits.

Waving in WA is high on anyones list most of the series boys might wave but all the others don't ( I drive a Disco and they don't wave ) maybe there uptight but if you came offroading with me and a few of my mates you will have a ball so Damo come over here and have some fun.

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i know what ya mean.

i wave to every landy now when i got my first rangie i only got waves from rangie owners thought it was sweet. then when i got the disco it was wierd i waved and waved and nothing only once i disco owner went all out flashed his lights horn arm out the windowit was tops. i just got wierd looks so i stoped ( bad mistake) as soon as i stop everyone started it was wierd anyway i now own a 84 rangie and i decide to wave to everyone :wave:

my rules are

dont wave to yota drivers there wierd (i know my bro is one :dunno: )
nissan drivers aren't to bad
jeep drivers think they no it all
disco drivers are shy or dont get wave to so dont understand
the rest of the rovers are sweet

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Colo

There are so many Disco's in Colorado that if we all waved, we would have tendonitis in the wrists,,,, :) Denver metro area must be the stock Disco capital of the world ? Seems I can turn around at any light, or in any traffic jam, and see at least 3 others.

But I've found the modified off-road Discos wave to each other & everyone I've waved to always waves back. :wave:

I saw an H2 once with a sticker that said "LandRover Recovery Vehicle",,, I reserved the finger for him,,, :lol:

·
4,576 Posts
Oh man this thread is great!...Here are some of my stories. Comming out of work one day I get on the ramp to marge with 826 and to my left see a Rover exactly like mine on the side in the area with white lines between the highway and the merger area. His hazards weren't on but with electrical problems being common, I slowed down and pulled over next to him to ask if everything was ok. The guy was surprised ofcourse, but it was only a SMART Rover owner who had pulled over to talk on the phone (everyone drives with a phone molded into their ear).

In another instace, doing the same thing, comming out of work and comming onto the highway, I see a new LR3 and a DII right behind it. At first i was next to them and i gave them the wave, and hey happily waved back (this was when the LR3 had JUST been released) so i let them get ahead a bit to get in the line and it was fantastic!... a DIII, DII, and DI inline...a miniconvoy. Everyone made way for us.

In Miami, Soccer moms and business dads make up most of the rover population but when there is a Exp.Exchange, Atlantib British, CT, G4 decals, or visible mods, the friendly gestures happen. I even pulled up next to an old Toyota (not very familiar with those, but it was two door suv-style truck) with roofrack, Hellas, M/Ts, and a snorkel. We both had our windows down so I complimented his rig! H1 owners with mods and/or mudd all over with get the friendly gestures as well. I'm constantly on the look out! :wave:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Hee hee... in the 2 weeks I have owned my XD I mostly get odd stares from people. Around here (San Francisco Bay Area) most Disco drivers are soccer moms, and wonder what that "extra" lever-thingie on the center console is for..

But I try to wave to all.. not much response though. :dunno:

Serg

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They probably think you're trying to "hit" on them. :D

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Disco said:
They probably think you're trying to "hit" on them. :D
We do have some sweet soccer moms on the road here... :D :D

Serg

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a Discovery and not to long ago I was on the freeway driving back to Sacramento form San Jose and in my mirror coming up behind me was a pretty tricked out Discovery. This thing was loaded with everything you could think of - lift, roof rack, brush bar, even had a tow strap hangin' from his ladder. So I'm cruisin' along and all of the sudden he flashes me... What!??? Okay, so this guy wants me to move out of the lane so he can pass. I was nice, got over and gave a little wave... Not even a glance. I guess I just wasn't hardcore enough for this guy and his rig. I wave and find not many wave back. To be honest I don't even expect it anymore.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What a schnook! Maybe the ladder is the anchor for his tow strap. :D

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
waves

In England most of the Rangie drivers are too bloody posh to acknowledge you.They seem to be of the thought that you are some illierate stump who toils in mud and is far too beneith him to wave to.Most everyone in series landy's wave to one another due to the fact we, like defender owners are in a constant state of repair with our vehicles and share a common bond.Let's face it you do have to be mildly eccentric to justify owning a landy to begin with.God knows I am.
As far as is it "normal" to spend the amount of money you are at the moment?Yeah sure,why not.Once you have bitten the bullet on some key machanical repairs you will be fine.Just take care of it and it will take care of you.I've spent thousands on my 109 and have no regret.I bought it with a bit of tlc needing to be done.I knew what I was getting into.Today I have no doubt that I could drive to SCOTLAND AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING!!(EXCEPT THE COST OF PETROL) :wave:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts