Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 2011 Range Rover Supercharged and am trying to run a 1/0 gauge power wire from the battery to the rear for a sound system.

I found an old thread where a member posted where he ran his wire for a rear amp install; however, my 1/0 gauge wire seems to be too thick to run down that same location. It was along the bottom floor trim panels on the passenger side. the thread is at this link:

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to run this wire instead? I took all the passenger side panels off and had to put them back together, would driver’s side work?

Would running the wire along the outside of the truck be better/only option? If so, where should it be run along to be safe and not be affected by heat, etc.?

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
0ga wire is tough to fit into any factory channel. I can't speak to your RR specifically, but in a former life my profession was installing car stereos/alarms/TVs etc...

it was always my preference to run large gauge wires along the frame and reenter the trunk/cargo area with either an existing drain plug or adding a hole/grommet. It's much easier to fish the remote wire and signal wires out of the firewall and under the bottom of the rig. Just use a good split loom on the cables, and if you run the signal wires under the car, don't zip tie them to the 0ga primary unless you like dirty noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive already got the rest of the wires connected. The sound system is running but the installer who did the job took power from the rear fuse box and that seems to be causing electrical issues. I am just trying to replace that with a direct wire power wire now.

I am thinking of running it on the outside but any suggestion on what path to follow on this truck? I don’t want to run along a path with too much heat where I could melt the wire any anything like that. Other than that, running it along the bottom should be pretty safe right?

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Definitely don’t mess with the rover’s internal power!

run along the outside of the frame rail, and make sure the wire is never the lowest point on the vehicle, otherwise you may destroy it and blow a fuse if you drag belly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this may sound a bit stupid, but can you tell me exactly what you mean by outside of the frame rail? Perhaps an underbody screenshot with a simple red line I can follow if it’s not too much to ask. Also, any particular components that I should avoid due to heat, etc.?

Should I just secure it with zap straps all the way down and it’ll be safe? Do I need to put anything around it for protection like wire protector?

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Stay away from the exhaust and any moving parts. Use split loom to protect the wire. Zip tie to the chassis when possible, you may have to install fasteners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it necessary to use split loom to protect the wire? Would running the wire on it’s own not be safe even though it has a decent casing on it?

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
I would never forgo split loom. It’s incredibly cheap, and today the wire’s vinyl casing is soft, supple, and pliable. What will it look like after years of hot/cold and wet/dry cycling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up getting it done. That was tough!

I went from the spare tire area (where the amps are) to the fuse box area (right side), then along the passenger side under the trim. At the B-pillar, I wasn't able to go along it since the wire was too thick so I had to cut across the carpet a bit and go under the passenger seat (had to remove the seat). Then back on the other side of the B-pillar and went under the wire harness cover on the passenger side and dropped it into the existing wiring channel. Then up the right side of the glove box. Behind the glove box is a plastic grommet which I drilled a hole in exactly the size of the cable and passed the cable through. I put silicone around the cable for extra protection. Then up to the battery. The battery and battery tray had to be removed to get to the grommet to retrieve the wire from the inside.

I have never done something like this before and was able to get it done, even though it took me many hours!! I doubt the installer would have done as clean of a job as this. If anyone would like more details or has any questions, post a reply or send me a message.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts