Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here.

Wondering whether anyone may shed some light on why my S3 diesel is running just under the red on the temp guage. Have replaced thermostat, temp sender unit, flushed system, flushed and washed rad. Radiator doesent seem blocked.

Any ideas......?

cheers, Jon3929.

· Registered
317 Posts
jon3929,
How long does it take to get hot?

Have you listened to the water pump to see if there is any bearing noise coming from it? How about the weep hole on the water pump, any coolant leaking there?

I'd say water pump if your radiator is in good shape. But there still could be an unseen blockage in the rad or the block...

One neat thing I've seen, if you have an infrared thermometer (a friend just gave me a new multimeter with an infrared thermometer on it) you can point it at different areas of the block to see if something is running hotter than something else, possibly indicating a blockage...

Hmm, also there is a difference in temp when feeling the upper and lower radiator hoses right?

Bogatyr

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Jon3929

You did not say where you are???

Running hot in the desert is standerd, but running hot in Alsaka may be a prob with your enjin.

Also some countrys (espesially in Africa) have low grade Diesel that cause any diesel to run hot.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gents,

Indeed the water pump is fine - no leaks, vibration or noise anywhere. It heats up quickly and stays at a constant (hot) temp.

The bottom hose is definately cooler than the top hose.

I'm only in Bristol, UK, and whilst its been nice whether recently, it hasn't been that hot!!! I did notice when driving on a fresh morning a few days ago it was running a few needles width's cooler, but then again, it would do wouldn't it?

cheers, Jon3929.

· Registered
66 Posts
I dont know if the diesel has the same set up as the 2.6 petrol, but my engine was running quite warm (also temp was fluctuating a bit) and I took the water pump off and found that the the circulating pipe that is built into the water pump and goes up to the thermostat was completely blocked with muck. I cleaned it out and it ran a lot cooler. Maybe worth a check. It was lucky I noticed it cause it was actually hard to notice it was blocked.
Dick

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is getting frustrating....!

I have replaced the water pump - no joy.
I have flushed everything again and it is all clear and seems to run ok using a hosepipe through the whole system.

However - when its running and all hot, there is no flow through the heater box, you can disconnect the hose that connects to the block and its doesnt spill out....!

I cant understand it. Any ideas???

I will get a rad cap and one of those laser heat sensors tomorrow, and report back.

Thanks in advance guys......

J.

· Registered
317 Posts
jon3929,
So if you pull the hose off of the heater core, you have no flow to it? or from it? Have you tried to flush the block through the heater hose fittings on the head? You'll prolly have to unbolt the water drain on the ...uh, it's on the dizzy side of the engine right? It sure sounds like you've got some sort of restriction in the block or the head...

Bogatyr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.