Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(posted this in another forum, figured id also post it here, cant hurt)

Discovery II, 115,000... I blew my head gasket out last year or so, (after a couple of overheats...)

I garaged it until i had time to deal with it...

I opened it up yesterday... One side looked good... clearly the gasket was shot, no steam cleaned cylinders...

As I was taking out spark plus on the other side, it was def rusty (prob not good)... as i got it off i founds this heap of **** in there...

Im assuming this block is a wash at this point.... is it worth macgyvering something... or should i just get a new block/ or part the truck out...

Also if i go the block route can i use the same crank, pistons (sans the 2 shot ones) and internal hardware (sans bolts) from the old block if they check out... what would i need to buy new.....

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems to me you could disconnect the con rod from the crank, extract the cylinder, hone it out, the measure up everything after a thorough clean up. It would depend on how much the liner and piston has been pitted as to if it could be saved. Lot of labor but a lot cheaper than a new block and associated rebuild costs. Looks potentially salvageable to me. Hope you get lucky.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I agree, once the piston was removed and the sleeve honed out, then you will kn ow, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys think this is something i should attempt with the block still in the car...

That cylinder is pretty close to the bulkhead...

Also does it look like the sleeve gave up on me or is fairly common to have coolant in those cylinders from the type gasket failure i had..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, it can be done in situ. Again, it will be a lot of work. As for the sleeve "gave up" on you, that is a judgement call. From the pic it looks ok, but a pressure test might be in order. The gasket failed by a water jacket so the coolant will find an outlet. A good quality head gasket set will prevent another failure. I can't say enough good about Victor Reinz set. Quality stuff.

I think it can be fixed. It looks worse than it is. The mesurements will validate that one way or another. To put it in perspective, I rebuilt my engine and did all the work sans the machine shop stuff and it still cost me $2000. You've got less than $500 in parts. If you are carefull you might be able to reuse the rod bearing on that bad piston. A more seasoned mechanic might be a good arbitor of that choice, though.

Good luck, Mr. President.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it can be done in situ. Again, it will be a lot of work. As for the sleeve "gave up" on you, that is a judgement call. From the pic it looks ok, but a pressure test might be in order. The gasket failed by a water jacket so the coolant will find an outlet. A good quality head gasket set will prevent another failure. I can't say enough good about Victor Reinz set. Quality stuff.

I think it can be fixed. It looks worse than it is. The mesurements will validate that one way or another. To put it in perspective, I rebuilt my engine and did all the work sans the machine shop stuff and it still cost me $2000. You've got less than $500 in parts. If you are carefull you might be able to reuse the rod bearing on that bad piston. A more seasoned mechanic might be a good arbitor of that choice, though.

Good luck, Mr. President.
Thanks again Distrovol...

I actually have a Reinz gasket set waiting to go in...

Where do you suggest i get the piston rings... (do you suggest i get rings for the 2 cylinders).. (if the block checks out)...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Try Atlantic British

·
Registered
81 Posts
PT Schram has done me good for internals like that. He is also a wealth of tech support and all around pleasant fellow to converse with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These 2 piston really don't want to come out...

Ive drenched them in PB/wd for about a week now... dropped the pan, disconnected the rods and whacked the piston from the bottom a good amount... nothing...

any suggestions... ive heard of people soaking a rag with atf in the cylinder and letting it burn off... that sounds like something i really don't want to try....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts