Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He Guys, just got my 2000 Discovery back from a friend who essentially garaged it for the past 7 years! -- Its got 76k on it and is perfect and i'm so happy! - As i clean, and tweak it a bit here and there, i noticed there is a lot of rust under the car on basically everything. Short of using a metal brush and then spraying with rustoleum, i know there are many "chemical" solutions to eliminating and coating the rust, and then one can paint -- I would love some guidance -- thanks!

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
If it's just surface rust, I'd spray degreaser on all the parts, then pressure wash the heck out of everything. Once dry, rattle can it. If its more than surface rust, a wire brush is probably your best bet for the home DIYer. The reason for the degreaser is the underside is bound to be covered with oil and grease. Gotta get it all off before the paint will stick. It will probably take several rounds of degreaser and pressure washing before you get everything off.

As far as the chemical rust converters, I'd be a bit leery about lying under the vehicle and spraying that stuff. You're going to wind up with it all over you.

Colin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any half measures are likely to result in more rust, not less, as you'll trap in moisture.

So you have a choice of leaving it alone, or removing all the loose paint and rust with a wire brush, treating the rust, applying a couple of layers of primer, and then underseal.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
POR15 is suppose to be great stuff. I've never used it, though. It is rather expensive, too.

I've never had an issue with cleaning a surface and painting it with a rustproof paint like Rustoleum or the like.

Colin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.