Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting my truck in S Mode when I drive in heavy trafick. And I have seen some improvment in my gass millage. I will keep doing the test and let you know if it is a good thing or not!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
What size are your tires?? Im donig the end all test with sport mode while equiped with 265/75-16s in mountainous terrain + 5000ft alt.

One tank without sport mode, driving at no more then 2000 RPM, using premium, with no off-roading for the tank was 10.56 MPG.

I am 50% though my second tank test while using sport mode, as being the only variable.

Am going to post the results too.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bird,
What are you doing driving in heavy traffic over there, you need to be out looking for some trails, if there are any left.
Hope you are doing well.

Josh,
I will be interested to see the results for sure.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hehe....maybe I just skewed the results by changing my diff fluid?? It was mud slop quickly followed by dirty oil, and finally started to clear up in the last bit dripping off.

Im not sure if it was synthetic or not, but I would assume that latter.

Oh well, I might have to redo the tests after this, we will see.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck set up.

I am running stock rims and the ever so popular Good Year HP 255/55R18. I inflate all the wheels to 40 PSI. I run 1 QT Lucas Heavy oil stabiliser 4 QT Castrol 10W40 Syntec oil and Fram oil filter. I have a K&N air filter. I keep the engine washed reqularly. I drive 60 miles a day. Most of it is highway and do not go over 55 MPH. I have to do about 10 miles or less in stop and go traffic. That is when I put the truck in sport mode and keep the RPM's below 2000. I was getting about 16 MPG then was watching my foot in traffic and was getting 17 MPG. And now with my driving in sport mode I got a little 18 MPG. I will do the test again because I had lots of highway miles last week. I ran about 400 miles in 3 days and I was driving at night.

As for off road. I went one time with a friend on a popular trail. The trail was rated easy. I spent more time sitting in line watching all the J**Ps get stuck or break down. That is why I now only take my truck out on the beach.

·
Registered
84 Posts
S-Mode fuel economy - the verdict ?

BIRD, keptin and others,
So what was the final verdict ? Is the S-mode more economical when city driving (stop-go) ?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This is a little off topic but is it safe to run the tires at 40 psi. I normally go by what is posted on the door. I have stock 18" Rims and I always write the milage on my gas reciept just out of habbit. I have two reciepts from december that come out to be about 14 MPG but that's mixed high way and city with the wife and I both driving, so its not that controlled. The little lady tends to run the disco harder than I do, especially since I showed here where the sport mode button is. :bawling: At about a quarter of a tank I can cover 131 miles. When she drives it covers 80miles.
:dunno:

DevilDisco

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hehe....sry.....I forgot about this thread...

alright....

FINAL VERDICT for "Sport" mode test was:

Original (the real test 1) test was messed up....

Test 1
Driving: 85% Road, 10% Highway, 5% Off-Road
RPM: Controlled (= or < 2100RPM)...(unless it couldnt be helped like on the highway)
Gas Mileage Increase: nearly 2 MPG! (1.8 MPG)

Test 2
Driving: 80% Road, 20% Off-road
RPM: Uncontrolled
Gas Mileage Increase: almost insignificant, (.2-something MPG)

Its hard to tell....I believe the sport mode helps a bit on gas, but on the other hand it could just be my driving :D

....hands down you save gas if you let off the petal......I need to do more official tests because since the original was messed up (hehe...a little off roading (burned lots of gas) so I skewed the results....it was a big rain and I couldnt just sit there!) I wont be able to do this soon because I just got my new toys and cant help not using them....but here are the half-assed results.

I used premium (98 octane) fuel from Sams Club for all of the tests.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My verdict

Sorry I have been busy the last few weeks. I am getting ready to retire from the Navy in April.

I drove 4 weeks with the S mode. The first week I got some good results I got 18.2 MPG. The next 3 weeks where mixed between 15.2 and 16.5 MPG my usual is 16.3 MPG with me driving 50 to 55 MPH. In short I did not see any real diference, but I do think I get better MPG if I drive 55-60 MPH. If you realy want to save gass you can buy a VW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.