Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Tanzania and own a 300TDI 130, 200TDI Disco and have just aquired a 1976 2.25 Petrol 109. I am in the process of turning the 109 into a bush vehicle and want to know a number of things.

1. Do Parabolic springs really make a difference? If so how can I buy then and get them to Tanzania??
2. Will fitting a weber carb improve mpg or should I stick with the Zenith unit? What are the costs for a weber in the Uk?

Many thanks in advance..

Marc.

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
marc

A webber carb (36dcd) is the best conversion you can do on that enjin mate.
Somwhere inthe Series treads there is a tread on the Webber conversion, take a look. all that did it got better power and more Economy.

· Registered
361 Posts
Marc,
Answer #1 YES! Why on earth anyone would want to have regular springs is beyond my understanding. For Rocky Mountain, read this http://www.wiseowlparts.com/Catalogue/springs.html

You will notice they have suppliers in Africa. They also ship world wide.

#2, my experience with Weber is dismal. Wouldn't give you the time of day for one. (Note, I am currently running with one. Haven't got a replacement Zenith yet.)

Greg S
1970 109 SW
2.25 Petrol
Rocky Mountain Parabolic Springs

· Registered
222 Posts
I don't have any experience with parabolics myself, but from what I've read they work as long as the rest of the suspension is upgraded with the springs. Since the self-damping action of the leaf springs is removed, you need uprated shock absorbers otherwise you get a very bumpy, jolting ride.

You may need longer brake lines to cope with the increased articulation. Most suppliers will do a kit with all the springs, shock absorbers, brake pipes, bushes etc. etc.

Jack

· Registered
107 Posts
The parabolic conversion is one of the best things you can do to a series rover, doubly so if you fit gas shocks as well.

As for the weber carb i wouldn't give it the time of day let alone engine space, stick with the Zenith, easily repaired and overhauled and the petrol consumption is only marginally worse than the weber.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
!!!!!!

bhodisatva said:
The parabolic conversion is one of the best things you can do to a series rover, doubly so if you fit gas shocks as well.

As for the weber carb i wouldn't give it the time of day let alone engine space, stick with the Zenith, easily repaired and overhauled and the petrol consumption is only marginally worse than the weber.
I could not agree more!!! I had a Weber in my last 88 and I HATED IT with every ounce of my being it.Weber is too overrated in my opinion.The Zenith is a much better option for all around servicing and the like!!

· Registered
39 Posts
Parabolics

:D

My last 88 had parabolics. Fitted them myself from British Springs. I replaced all the shackle bolts and U-bolts etc. but that was it. Used the original shocks, brake hoses with no problem. It will obviously depend on how the springs have been manufactured as to whether you will get away with that but mine worked no worries.

Best improvement to a series Landy - wish my current light weight had them!

As to the carb - only ever had diesels and haven`t manged to get the damn webber to work on them yet! :beer:

· Registered
97 Posts
Weber Carb

I'm using a Weber 36dcd on my 2a (but fitted with a Chev 4.1 6 cyl). I've no experience with the Zenith so I can't give a comparison. What I can say is that you have to experiment with the jets and air jets and venturis on the Weber. There is a average setting combination but that is only a guideline. I've altered my main and secondary jets a number of times and enlarged the venturis to a point where they don't fall into the range of what the guidelines say and I've now got decent consumption and power. One or two small changes to make on the secondary side still to do.

So before fitting a Weber make sure there are jets and venturis available. Locally the jets can be bought at R10 so making changes is not too expensive. Venturis come in a bit pricier at R90.

So if you go for a Weber be prepared to expirement. Remember the important thing about the Weber is that the the only variable adjustment with the screws etc is for the setting at idle. Beyond that only changing jets etc. changes performance and economy. :wave:

Envy you in Tanzania. We are trying our utmost to save up to visit there. :D

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Our present 2A has a Weber on it, and it's performance sucks. It will not stay adjusted more than a day or so and I can't wait to pitch it.
This seems to be the most overated upgrade I've heard of, so many who are selling their series truck use it as a sales point, but in fact, maybe if they had kept it stock, they wouldn't be selling the truck to begin with.
I had the best luck with Zenith, but used a Carter on my first 2A.
Our series 3 has a single barrel Holley and started up and idles nicely the other day. First time it's run in many years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.