Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Are you keeping the original enjin?

It is possible to fit A SIII enjin & Box into a SI with minor moda on chassis.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 58 SWB S1 has the original g-box at present with Nissan LD28 motor. Present g-box jumping out of 3rd downhill and handbrake oil leak. Have a donor 76 109 S3 alongside and was checking for potential problems with the transfer of bits. :eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ian,
I'd say repair the series 1 box if you can...I'm not sure what parts are available these days for series 1 trannys though.

IIRC the jumping out of gear is due to a missing detent spring. The oil leak is easy enough to fix in situ with a new output oil seal and a speedy sleeve on the shaft.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,

I'm not into keeping my S1 original [may get another one sometime to do that]
Just want a good onroad/off road 4X4 [S1]. I find I'm driving faster on the open road with the Nissan Diesel,[92 HP] so also need to stop better.
I allready have a donor 109 S3 for parts parked alonside.
Have swapped the rear Salsbury diff over and when it all settles in will do the front diff. [stronger, better brakes and wider track]

If the gearbox swap looks like it is in the impossible basket I won't do it but....

Was just wondering what sort of problems I was likely to encounter. My S1 has a mechanical operated clutch [quite heavy] so don't know if I can keep this or go to the hydraulically operated S3 master/slave cyl setup.
Also is the front bellhousing of a S1 gearbox the same as a S3 gearbox?
Is the S3 box stronger than an S1?

Cheers Ian :az:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me again,

Reading around on these LR'er forums I may just wait till the S1 gearbox blows up before changing away from my mechanical clutch and box.
Will replace seal on transfer case near handbrake and see how it all hangs together.

Cheers Ian Butcher. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.