Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my newly acquired 1997 Disco XD there are no sunroof of course.. the headliner is starting to sag a bit. Not enough to warrant a replacement, just curious if there are any quick fixes for this???

Serg

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Where abouts is it sagging? Mine started to do it on my 95 just recently, where it meets the windscreen. What I did was scrap away a 1/2" band of the old glue. I then smeared along the scrapped area some "Kovulfix",this a glue from Germany, which can be used for repairing shoes and other general gluing jobs. I'm now waiting to see if it permanently solves the problem and it does look promising thus far. If your liner is sagging elsewhere, that is, not near an edge that you can get to, then a complete replacement is necessary unfortunately.
Hope this helps

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's sagging a tiny bit in the same place as yours.. and also in front of wear the rear sunroof should go.. I know a very good upholstery guy, I am sure he will think of something..

Thanks for the info!

Serg

·
4,576 Posts
Awww man, and i thought it was just the humidity, i guess this is a DI common prob.....mine is wayyy past "sagging a little bit"...the whole frontal area (from the windscreen to the hump in the middle, where the two net-pockets are) is totally saggin..this is just a preview...

(picture might take a while to load on Dail-Up)

·
rovering??
689 Posts
inject the glue.

i knew an upholstery guy who used a syringe to inject glue between the headliner and the roof, pearcing through the headliner.
that was one way he restuck it without removing the whole thing.

·
4,576 Posts
I too know an old guy that does the interiors on all the "Fast and Furious" cars down here, he made a headliner in the form of a german flag on my buddies 98 GTI-VR6, Black and Red seats (red inner sections) with the VW symbol stitched into the headrests and VR6 in the middle of the rear seats....i want to see if he'll replace mine for leather in the same color as my current headliner....do an Discos have leather headliners??? Haven't really noticed when lookin inside the D2s

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
01001010, if the sag is way back to where you say it is, you will have to remove the headliner to fix it. :bawling: The problem with the sagging (yes it is common) is that the glue become brittle with age. Then, as it sags a little, air gets underneath it and slowly peels it. This same problem can also develop, if water gets into the headlining via leaking sunroofs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I thought I was the only guy bumping old threads with silly questions!

I would get on the phone and find small, local shops that specialize in interiors. Ask them questions, take them your car so they can see the condition on the headliner.

I don't have an answer for you but I'd guess you haven't searched very much. LRO does have a classified section as well. Try looking there. There are more than a couple people parting out discos but I think your best option is to find a solution (replacement or repair) locally.
Get off your ass and get on the phone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Headliner source

I redid the headliner on my Discovery 1. It was a royal pain compared to other vehicles, but doable. The trick is finding a source for headliner material that I think needs to be 72" wide. The Discovery is about the only vehicle out there that has one that wide, but my local shop got some in black for about $60. The real trick was getting it glued over those massive side curves. Pretty hard to do without wrinkles .... I certainly would not have done it had I not done several other headliners in cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.