Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who saw SCSL's "Alloy vs Steel Wheels" thread....notice the alloys on those rovers...still intact! (quote from crash website)

Land Rover rims are quite different from many rims. When i had my tires replaced i was told some of the main differences. As the guy was mounting and balancing my tires he told me to get back and cover my ears. I was like OK, what the hell is he talking about. Then as the tire inflated about 20% of the tire took awhile then BAM!!! it popped and aired up as normal. I asked, "What the hell was that all about." He then told me that Land Rover rims (unlike most manufactor rims) were built to lower pressure and had a double walled rim that allowed lower air pressure to keep. To be honest i never knew this about Land Rover rims until this. I am sure other rims and vehicle manufactures have this, but this was news to me about land rover and thought it was quite intresting.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I didn't know that either..... But after what i have put mine through I believe it......

·
4,576 Posts
hehe...thats my quote up there

...I didnt know that either though. Thats interesting. I've never had to air my tires down. I love the fact that the Tornado rims my disco came with were also put on Defenders, makes them a bit more special....for me anyway..lol But yeah man, our wheels are friggin strong! You dont see too many non-rover rigs out on the trails running stock wheels! Must mean somethin eh?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I air down on 9 out of 10 trips....... somewhere 12 - 15 psi

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Phlawed said:
Land Rover rims are quite different from many rims.

Then as the tire inflated about 20% of the tire took awhile then BAM!!! it popped and aired up as normal. I asked, "What the hell was that all about." He then told me that Land Rover rims (unlike most manufactor rims) were built to lower pressure and had a double walled rim that allowed lower air pressure to keep. To be honest i never knew this about Land Rover rims until this. .
I know we're speaking the same language, I recognize most of the words, but could someone tell me, what did he say?

Built to lower pressure, Double wall?

Interior shape of any rim is determined by the bead of the tire, Strength of the rim is determined by the section thickness, and mass intersections.

There's no doubt that LR Rims are heavier, so it stands to reason they have heavier section thinkness, but I have no idea what you mean by 'built to lower pressure' and 'double wall'

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
They have a double lip, making it a bit harder to pop a bead. Same goes for the stock steel LR rim. Also, the Mach 5 rims have the same double lip and rolled edges, making it one of the best steel rims on the market. Forget about those crappy AR black steel rims, the edges bend easily and they are very light.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I changed my mind since posting that thread & am sticking w/ my LR alloys. Since that thread I've been impressed by my rims despite riding two of them up a rock obstacle.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I have to find a picture of my rims on the rocks.. I was bound up on rocks where my rim was touching the rocks and my tire was twisted sideways and my tire never blew..... It was amazeing, never seen anything like it w/o blowing....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL never thought this would draw so much attention, i figured most LR owners knew of this.......

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
garland823 said:
so LR alloys are better than some steel rims?
Yes they are. If you decide to get steelies then get the Wolf rims or something like the Mach 5, do not get the AR.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Double wall rims eh....

Great thread! Good to know. I picked up some DII 16" alloys when I bought my Rangie, I didn't have time to chase the infamous steelies. But now I'm even more happy with my purchase now knowing this little tid bit of info. Thanks Phlawed... :buttrock:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
one thing about the double wall LR use alot double walled tires as well.

They all run either michelin synchrones or Goodyear HP.

and let me tell you they suck to change. Especkially the 18, 19 and 20s.

they fight the whole way off and on.

you dont make time on them. trust me.

sixteens arent too bad. Sometimes they can be a pain. Today I had one that was a pain. Had to blow it up to over 80 psi with an external hose to get the bead to seat.

Nearly blew my eardrums out.

They ranged for a while afterwards.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Before reading this thread, I was thinking about getting some new rims to replace my stock 16's, but after reading this, I'm just going to get mine powder coated and run 'em like that....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glad to hear everone enjoyed the info

Airing up a 16" on Goodyear Tracker 2's will do the same, it sounds like gunshots right by you. I almost jumped out of pants the first time it happened:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
sry guys, I guess ill just be running with 2 spares ;)

going steel wheels, not just for the offset, but so I never have to pound out an alloy again! If I really wanted to hold the tire on, I would go beadlocks---they make functional-beadlock legal DOT approved versions and devices. Expensive, but I am never going back to alloys once I go steel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
one of the reasons i went with steel is that the tire shop my friend owns doesnt have the big bead breaking machine and we tried fro about an hour to get a continental off the alloy spare! They are on there good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.