Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have them what do you like or dislike? The two most important parameters to me will be engine coolant temp and transmission fluid temp. I can only find the scangauge might read trans temp on some models, do they read it on the Rovers? Thank you, again.

The scangauge is $100 more but the Ultragauge seems to be able to do the same thing with a better display.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I have one of the old original ultragauges - I like it a lot!
mine does the engine coolant temp but my 99 disco 11 doesnt support trans oil temp or even battery voltage - even though the gauge can display those. Once the gauge is plugged in to the OBD it will read what gauges are available from your model years ecm. I dont think the disco's sensor reads transmission temp - its just an overtemp warning display once the sensor is too hot it shorts to ground - not an actual continuous temp monitor.
hope that helps
Barri

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one of the old original ultragauges - I like it a lot!
mine does the engine coolant temp but my 99 disco 11 doesnt support trans oil temp or even battery voltage - even though the gauge can display those. Once the gauge is plugged in to the OBD it will read what gauges are available from your model years ecm. I dont think the disco's sensor reads transmission temp - its just an overtemp warning display once the sensor is too hot it shorts to ground - not an actual continuous temp monitor.
hope that helps
Barri
Thanks, I emailed Ultragauge and they said that Trans Fluid temp is not an OBD2 parameter so it can't read it. I would assume the scan gauge won't display it either. The two tools appear to do the exact same thing but the Ultragauge has a better display and is $100 less.

I think I need to find an aftermarket trans temp gauge.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
I have the UG II in my 2003 and I really like it. You really can't beat it for the price. The user interface is a little clunky, but once you get it set you won't really have to reset it too often. I've compared some of the parameters using standalone gauges, and it's right on the money.

One annoying thing about the UG - it never really shuts off. After the car is off the screen goes dark and the unit enters a low power state, but it's still consuming energy. Not really a problem is you drive your Disco daily, but I've my battery die twice because of it. The car sat for only about 10 days in each occasion - and this is with a new battery. Just be sure to unplug it if you'll be leaving the car for longer than a day. It's got an internal battery that will save all of your pages and settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.