Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the hard-set ABS codes from my '03 SE. Sorry if the numbers are missing my reader didn't save them. If you guys could look over my diagnoses and comment as you see fit I'd really appreciate the help.

1. Shuttle Valve Switch Electrical Failure.
2. Front Right Sensor output too low.
3. Front Right Sensor signal erratic.
4. Engine speed input signal intermittent or missing.

1. SVS Failure

Common fault. Modulator repair kit already on order from Falconworks. Followed by an "Option B" fix.

2,3. Front Right Sensor Faults

I'm 99% certain this is due to my squealing brakes. Particularly the front right corner. During a rotor/pad swap in December I forgot to put lubricant on the back of the pads to stop them squealing - I'm paying for it now. I'll be doing a caliper rebuild on all 4 corners to free up some sticky pins and I'll make sure to add compound this time around.

4. Engine speed signal intermittent

Literally no idea on this one. Could it be tied to the squeaky/dusty brakes? My tach works so I know the crank signal is good. So I need some help on this one.

Thanks a ton guys!

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts

The slabs computer gets info on throttle position, rpm, and maybe some other things from the ecu, to be used for things like hill decent and traction control.

Can the scanner you got read live data? I had an error like that on my 1999 d2 and I could compare what hawkeye saw at the engine computer to what it saw at the slabs. I think mine was tps, but I don't recall for sure, anyway the engine computer saw tps signal just fine, but the slabs saw nothing. In my case it was left over corrosion inside the computers. I cleaned it up and all was well again. Do you have sunroofs?

It's also possible that error is from something like a battery replacement where not all of the computers came ready fast enough. If it doesn't come back I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got an 03 with the same 044 low voltage code for the front right wheel. I have replaced the sensor and the hub but my abs/tc/hdc and brake lights still come on every time i get going. If I can figure this out I will post a reply, but I am almost out of ideas. Would it help to go ahead and replace the brake pads? i still have 60% plus.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Probably need to get the codes read again when the lights are back on.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I've got an 03 with the same 044 low voltage code for the front right wheel. I have replaced the sensor and the hub but my abs/tc/hdc and brake lights still come on every time i get going. If I can figure this out I will post a reply, but I am almost out of ideas. Would it help to go ahead and replace the brake pads? i still have 60% plus.
When you replace the sensor, did you use the new-type long sensor that you wire all the way back to the computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did wire all the way back to the ecu. I just tried clearing all the codes again, even the 1590 code on the engine system, still having the same problem.
The lights are not on when I start the vehicle, but they come on once i'm driving. Sometimes it only takes a block and other times I have made it up to 40 miles but they come back and are then off again when I restart my car.
I'm stumped.

Bosnian Discovery- does your low voltage code come on and stay on or does it come back sporadically?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jafir- what's the story on the sunroof question? I do have sunroof and have a similar issue. I have at times experienced a leak in the sunroof. Presumably from the drains? I should rip the headliner out and fix the drains and then replace the liner. Do you suspect a leak induced problem? I have a couple of intermittent codes and a tach that isn't working. I have alt rebuilt and new battery so thats not part of my tach issue. But I have had some wire damage from squirrels I have had to repair by solder replacement of new wires. I think I have taken care of all the wires but maybe not.

I know.... Squirrels? Yes. I have caught them in the act. A few are taking dirt naps now. :)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, you do need to get the codes read when the 3 amigo's come on, otherwise you will never fix this problem.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Jafir- what's the story on the sunroof question? I do have sunroof and have a similar issue.
I had corrosion in a couple of the computers due to a water leak. I'm pretty sure it was caused by the sunroofs leaking. It caused some of the communication between computers to not work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the shuttle valve o-rings, did the option "B" fix (trailer harness fix), and applied a coating of Sil-Glyde to the backs of my pads to stop the squealing. This was over a month ago - I've had absolutely no dash lights on since. My sunroofs DO leak in extremely heavy rain (which we get daily down here), but there was no corrosion to speak of on any of my connectors.

Disco-Team. Do your pads squeal? If you didn't use lubricant on the back of the pads then they WILL squeal and your computer will interpret this squeal as a faulty ABS sensor. Furthermore did you rebuild your ABS unit? The vast majority of three amigos problems come from a faulty ABS pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bosnian Discovery : I did not use any lubricant the last time I replaced my pads and they do make some noise. I have done the hardwire abs modulator fix so it shouldn't be from that.
My problem seems to be pretty unique. Every time I start my car, I have no lights (the same 044 code is always present when I read them) but no lights. Once I drive for a while they will chime and come back on (brake + 3 amigos). If I restart my car, they are gone, then come back when driving. I have tried to replicate the events that cause the chime and reappearance of the lights but they are pretty random. Mostly under braking from highway speeds, letting off the accelerator at 40-45mph, or accelerating between 15-20mph. All ABS/TC/HDC function normally when the lights are off. I made it the entire mosquito pass from Alma to Leadville with no lights and functioning systems. I am at a loss and would appreciate any feedback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts