Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how important are the scheduled maintenance/ tune ups in the owners manual. i know it has to be a good thing, but if i do not get them done is there any downfall. i just cannot really afford these stealer visits. i am coming up on 60,000 miles, what do you think ishould do?

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm a firm believer in regular maintanence to keep your LR in top condition. It's akin to a person. If you don't look after yourself, as in proper food etc eventually you will suffer medical ailments. Perthaps you may not have a lot of mechanical knowledge, but if you have the time, it's great fun learning and the members on this forum will guide you through. If you have the owners manual, follow the service guide that's closest to the next service that's due.
Since you have 60K on the clock, if the maintanence schedule doesn't suggest changing the sparkplug leads, do so, as the factory ones will be on the way out by now. 7mm Magnacore leads will do the trick. Change out your plugs also.

· Registered
590 Posts
Bro, just find a good Independent Land Rover shop. When my warranty went out I looked around and found one 45 min from my house, and I have been paying half price on all work ever since.

The dealership really tack on the price gouging.

And ys the scheduled maintenances will save you in the long run so big expesive repairs dont need to happenski.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
It's like saying how important is it to get a physical.

Ditto the advice: find a good indie LR shop,,, the stealer is, well, a stealer. If you have to postpone the scheduled maint. due to cash or lack of a trustworthy shop, at least change the oil/oil filter/air filter & monitor other fluids religiously. Examine your undercarriage, drivetrain, suspension, etc regularly to head off problems at the pass.

· Registered
590 Posts
I hat eto say this, but when I was younger and poorer I had a BMW (ive had many now) and once I was second gussing the expenses on my mechanics xmass list. He stopped me and bellowed down to me, Sharky, if you cant afford an BMW, dont drive a BMW.

Anyhow, if you can get a second job and work a few hours a week to keep regular maintanence on your LAnd Rover and still be able to enjoy it then I say go fo rit, otherwise, mabey a rethink is in order...

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i take that offensively sharky. i CAN afford it, it is just that I was wondering if there are other options rather than letting the dealer drain my wallet. And i found out through this thread that there are other choices and then you go and bash me. Things like that are not welcome on this board. I am sure you didn't mean anything by it, but maybe next time you should think before posting something like that. Okay? Thanks!!! :buttrock:

· Registered
590 Posts
You gotta be kidding me.

I was able to give you one extra idea on how to keep the rover and stay on schedule with the maintenance. It sounded like you wanted to skip the scheduled maintenances because you couldnt afford them.

If you were offended, then I appologise.
I thought you were some highschool kid by the sound of your first post.
Later.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
drum655 said:
i take that offensively sharky. i CAN afford it,,,, Things like that are not welcome on this board. I am sure you didn't mean anything by it, but maybe next time you should think before posting something like that. Okay? Thanks!!! :buttrock:
drum655 said:
i just really cannot afford these stealer visits...
Well which is it?

In defense of Sharkey,,, you did say it yourself in your opening post. This is a pretty mellow board. Good e-friendships,,, no flamming.

I suggest thicker skin. We're all friends here and do not easily assume intended offense.

Peace. :drink1:

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah iknow it was uncalled for....i am sorry guys. but i just don'twant you guys to think i am a cheap A$$ or something. and i am not a high school kid either sharky hahaha. i am sorry for confusing you. i just knew that there had to be a better way than going to the dealer. and come to find out...there is....i hope i can find an indi shop around here... i really enjoy all the info i get on this post so i hope ya'll can forgive me. and by the way...anyone have any 2" lift coild springs they wanna sell?

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself alanticbritish has a link to independent shops that customers recommed.. give that a try

· Registered
590 Posts
Peace.

Im on beer probation rt now (wife) , otherwise I would have a beer for you.

A good sign that the indi shop knows how to work on Land Rovers is when you drive in the parking lot, and see that the mechanics, both young and old all drive Land Rovers.
That's how it is at the shop I frequent. It is a drive, (45 min there and back) but they really love Land Rovers and know what to look for. They usually take care of small crap at no extra expense. And the owner always sits back with me to ask how my KTM skills are coming along (just bought a KTM last Christmas).

If the shop doesnt know how to work on Land Rovers and has the attitude that all vehicles are the same as long as they have the directions, then you will be on your way to break downs and being stranded in Lodi as Creedence plays on the radio.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.