Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 disco XD and I've got a strange scraping noise coming from somewhere underneath my vehicle. It sounds like a metal on metal scraping sound. I had the u-joints, both driveshafts looked at and re-greased but they were fine. It almost sounds like its coming from one of the wheels. The swivel balls have grease in them, though one has a slight leak. Any suggestions on what could making this sound???:eek

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you had wheels off lately, check the dust shield/backing plates for clearance to rotors. They sometimes get bent as wheel is heavy and drug against shield bending it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the brake pads looked at about a few months ago but if it's a bad caliper piston, it could have worn it down. I only looked at the front facing side of the brakes but not the back side. My mechanic has the car now but I'll ask him to look at the brakes. I'm thinking of replacing the front brakes first with a EBC rotors and pads anyways. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

I did have new tires put on in the past few weeks. They were a size up, both width and height, so maybe they hit something when they were putting them on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the noise

I found where the noise was coming from, the calipers were sticking and when the brakes got hot enough and expanded, the pads were rubbing on the rotors and making the metal on metal noise. I'm getting the entire back brakes fixed, new calipers, rotors and pads. Thanks for all the help everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.