Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sea Foamed the Disco yesteray and only got a light cloud of blue smoke, and that was after the second try after I determined that I had not used enough the first time.

The second time I stalled the engine twice with no SES light. After I got the cloud of blue smoke in the drive way. I did a hard 20min run just to make sure and still nothing.

Is it possible that it is not that dirty. I do a lot of highway driving. I have
53k on it now. And the Disco is no stranger to highway miles. And has seen the high end of the tach quite a bit this week. Is it possible that the engine is just clean, or did I do it wrong???

I use about a foot of Fuel line and connected it to a vacum nipple on the left side of the intake manifold. There were two other vacum lines above it and there was actually another line connected to that nipple that I disconnected to Seafoam the engine. I use some needle nose pliers to regulate the flow and sucked it into the engine until the can was about half. I waited a little over 30min and then took it for a hard drive. There was no somke to speak of. The engine has actually feels quite strong I just wanted to do this for Preventative Maintenance.

·
2,986 Posts
I did mine for the first time this weekend.. 82k miles, pulled 1/2 can in from the same vacuum nipple, and it smoked like hell... SES light is on (havent gotten a chance to reset it yet)... haven't really noticed much of a difference yet, perhaps better MPG, time will show though.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How much SeaFoam did you use and how long did you let it sit before you went out and drove it?
Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just did this on Friday, put in a whole can through the same vac line as DD above, waited 30 minutes and put out a massive amount of white smoke. I was fairly sure I was going to get pulled over on the highway with the smoke screen I put out...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
That is why I am wondering why Devil didn't make any smoke, it always does.
Mike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first time I barely used 1/4 of the can and let it sit for 40min. The second application seein that I did not use very much I went to a little over half the can, waited a little over 30 min, and just a light cloud of blue some at 2k RPMS when I stepped on the gas. :dunno: Should I have let the engine Stall out. I always restarted it when it stalled.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I am not sure where you got the directions for doing the decarbon on your engine, but you didn't get them right.
You use the whole can, slowly over about 2 minutes thru a small vaccum line, not wanting to stall it out but to suck the fluid in slowly.
Then 30 minutes of sitting followed by a hard drive untill it quits smoking.
Mike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D I'll try again later this week. The instructions I got from the sea foam website said to you about 1/3 of the can. Maybe I read it wrong. I'll use the whole can next time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Help.Is this how its supposed to stop?

Is it supposed to do this. So Since I did it wrong the first time. I went to AutoZone and got another bottle of Sea Foam. I sucked the whole can into that nipple just below the other two vacum lines on the left side of the intake. Almost stalled a couple of times but I backed off before it did. When I was done. I quickly ran to turn off the engine so the Sea Foam could do its magic. I turned it off and the engine kept running for a few seconds before it finally clanked to a halt. Is it supposed to do that? It didn't sound good. It was only a few seconds maybe 5 to 10 but it seemed like an eternity as my hear started racing and the voice in the back my heat is yell Holy, Sugar, Honey, Iced Tea. I'm nervous now with 19min on the ticker waiting to start her up.

Is this how the engine is supposed to stop? It sounded very harsh. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I was worried about nothing:eek: Went out and she started right up. Didn't even need to pump the gas. And this time she smoked, boy did she smoke. Peeled out of the drive way, and it was more some than I see when they are fogging for mosquitos. Got her up in the 5krpm range a few times before I was sure she stopped smoking. Took a brief stint on the highway then back to the house. everything felt quite strong. It's night so not to many funny looks but there are some very upset people some where complaing about the sound of racing engines. Idle has not changed much still a slight chop but very sublte, you would not know it was there if you weren't looking for it. It is do for the 60k tune up in about 6k miles and I still have the Magnecors to put in, but at least now I know the the top end is clean. Now though I think I need brakes. :D :shifty:

·
2,986 Posts
Just since I had the pic handy.. this was from the past weekend:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't take a pic but I did get a lot, the cloud was so thick I could not see through it. It does feel a little better but I'm still uneasy about the sound it make after I tuned off the engine. Kind of like the sound you hear in movies when the engine runs out of gas but I know it wasn't that because I had 3/4 of a tank.
Since I was listening closely I think I hear a new noise that may have been there before but I didin't notice. Its not the normal tick I get when the engine is running, and its not the tap I get at startup. But so far so good. The engine used to sound like it way panting(spelling) when I would cruise around 30MPH (traffic) Now I don't hear that panting sound. The rythm at idle seems to be more constant as well. I could still smell a little sea foam in the exhaust this morning but I think I may have blown that out on the way to work(Running late again)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The engine may have continued to turn over on the sea foam alone after gas was cut off. I wouldn't be too worried about it, valves open and close just the same when the engine is turned off as when it is on, no harm can be done. Now that the inside is clean, go clean your engine compartment before you change those plug wires.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do! I found a can of engine cleaner when I picked up the Sea Foam. It's supposed to clean and shine the engine bay at the same time. I can't remeber the name right now but I'll let you know how it works and what it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ah yes, gotta have shiny plastic in there;)

That alone probably won't get all the gunk out, I would probably hit it with the pressure washer at the local car wash being careful not to spray high pressure water anywhere where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
wow! i had some smoke 1/2 way through the can and then had about 20min worth of smoke after i let it sit for 30-45 min.

Your rover must have not had that much carb build up which is a good thing?

edit:
some reason i could not read alot of the posts and it came up so i see what u did wrong.......... i was thinking if u didnt get any smoke that must have been one clean engine and etc..........

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the it should have smoked and did when I did it right. The smoke does not represent the amount of carbon in the engine. I know something came out because I have a black ring on the outer edge of the tail pipe. I just polished the tip the day before so it was quite shiney, now there is a ring of carbon around the opening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the correct vacuum hose for the Sea Foam operation on a 96 Disco? I know it would help me and maybe someone else too.

Thanks.
Len

1 - 20 of 31 Posts