Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the threads on using Seafoam, but most of those show where to run it in on a D2. Which is the best hose to use on a '94 D1? Would it be the hose that goes from the plenum to the PCV valve, or is there a better one to use?

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
707 Posts
Unruely said:
I have read the threads on using Seafoam, but most of those show where to run it in on a D2. Which is the best hose to use on a '94 D1? Would it be the hose that goes from the plenum to the PCV valve, or is there a better one to use?

Thanks
Martin

I fed mine via the breather hose that comes from the driverside valve cover to the throttle body it was a large line so it worked well

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
did you use the whole can? did it help? i read the previous post so I am just curious now

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
SeaFoam Treatment

If you want really great results, buy 3 cans, one for the fuel tank, one for the crank case and one for the induction system. Make sure to run a whole can thru the induction system and when done turn off the engine for at least 1/2 hour, then go drive it had and watch all the smoke coming from your exhaust pipe.
Mike J.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran half a can thru it this morning after I cleaned the stepper motor. After doing all this I proceded to change the injectors out. I used 2 1/2 cans of carb cleaner to get the plenum and ram chamber clean. They were gummed with lots of crud and carbon. So far this looks like it has taken care of my engine problems, although I have only run it about 20 minutes idling...

Martin

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
SeaFoam Treatment

SeaFom works well on all engines. Biggest thing I have found while working at different shops is use a full can thru the induction system and then let it set for 1/2 an hour. This give the product a chance to soak into the carbon on the back side of the valves and seat before driving it which causes a greater amount of carbon to be released and burned or passed thru.
MikeJ.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
SeaFoam Treatment

When I do the SeaFoam thing, usually twice a year, I do all 3. Rach has its own purpose, in the fuel helps the injectors, in the oil helps clean up some sludge and of course in the induction system to help decarbon the engine.
The 3 of them together keeps my truck real happy.
Mike J.

Was your oil clean when you added the SeaFoam? if so give it a 1000 miles and change it, if it was dirty, maybe 500 or so.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Do you just pour one can in the gas on a full tank?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
SeaFoam Treatment

Pavel,
SeaFoam won't just dissolve carbon in 30 minutes, it allows the carbon under heat and compression to be burned or removed as you drive it.

Funrover,
A can in the tank is good, especially if used when taking a trip. The high RPM's and full throttle runs up hills will help clean uo the fuel injectors.
If you can do a can thru the induction system at the same time, it will make a difference, better response and fuel economy.

Mike J,

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Funrover said:
I just bought some...I'll give it a try
Well I put out a lot of smoke......I mean a lot alot of smoke, and it didn't quit for about 40 45 min.... But now my catalytic converter is clanking...Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Funrover said:
Well I put out a lot of smoke......I mean a lot alot of smoke, and it didn't quit for about 40 45 min.... But now my catalytic converter is clanking...Anyone else had this happen?
Crap...This is why I dont Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
sven said:
Crap...This is why I dont Seafoam.

Well it prob. doesn't help I also hit that cat on a rock.....
It does have a little better response...it also got rid of the little surging i had upon start up

·
Registered
302 Posts
Funrover said:
Is that normal? I ask because I finally bought a can of seafoam and I'm going to pour it in next time I gas up, but if I'm goign to end up with a wasted cat, I rather just return it and get my money back ASAP.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I didn't pour it in my gas tank.....I had it go through the intake system...The gas tank bit will be okay....I had no problems with that....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If it killed your cat, you'll be the first one. I doubt it would cause it to make a clanking noise though- I'd suspect your rock incident.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.