Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
If you add the Seafoam to the oil itself I would only go for about 200 miles or less before changing it out. If added to the gas tank then you just add and drive it like you stole it. There is a picture floating around of my 1998 D1 with where to put SeaFoam..Let me see if I can find it.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
I have used the seafoam in my 97 Disco and it worked great. I removed the air intake tube and sprayed some into the throttle body and then used a clean rag to wipe what i could. Next I reattached the tube and removed the vaccum line that goes into the throttle body. Turned on the Disco and held the gas open a little bit to keep a semi-high rpm while spraying the can of seafoam into the opening where the vaccum line went into. I did this until I heard the Disco starting to die (you can also hear a sucking sound change from the vaccum canister) then I turned it off for about 5-10 mins, the exact time is on the side of the can, and reattached the vaccum line. Then I started it back up and rev'd the hell out of it. You should have seen the smoke show, good thing I dont have any neighbors close by. I could feel a difference in preformance and a slight gain in mpg.

If you go the oil route dont drive it very far at all. The gas tank way is the simplist, but doing the way i did gets the stuff where it should go the best. Hope that this has helped you out some.

John

· These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Sounds like it's worth a shot, think I might try it myself. Can you pick this stuff up at O'Reilly's or someplace or is it more of a specialty, meaning I have to order it or go to a performace shop?

· Registered
777 Posts
It is suppose to clear out the Carbon build up which rovers are prone to. I had lots of smoke when I used it in the 1998 D1. I am not sure if it did it's job or not? The 1998 is still on the road with about 119K miles no major engine issues..Maybe it did do something right?!

Private Iron -Yes any auto parts store in Norman should have it. It's like 5.99 per bottle at the O'Reilly's off of Lindsey Street.

317 Posts
Hey Roverchic, it'd really help me out if you could dinf that picture. I mean, I pretty sure I can handle dumpin that stuff in there, but a pic to be sure I have the right tube would make me feel better. Apbtpetey mentioned spraying the stuff in there. Do I really need to do that or can I pour slowly like the bottle says. I got some while I was out, there's an O'Reillys right down the street from me.

Also since I can't spell: "Find" is now spelled D-I-N-F. Be sure to update your dictionaries

· Registered
777 Posts
Here you are: It will go in the Tube where I have the pink arrows pointing to. You pull that tube off and allow it to slowly pour into the tube while running. I am sorry you will have to use this site...Stupid a** work computer is not allowing this function.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=881

What color is your Disco?? If you ever see me wave..2002 Gold Disco lifted with Roof Rack and BIG Tires! :wave:

317 Posts
Hey thanks for that link. I figured that was it, but it's nice to be reassured.
Mine is a 98, white. Nothing special done to it yet as I have only had it a few weeks. I've been waving at everyone thats in a Rover, I figured everyone did. Like when I drove my ahhh...sheep. Oh yeah, do I need to mix it with gas as recommended?

317 Posts
So, I go out there to Seafoam it, pull the vacuum tube, and it immediately rips in half. Surely this can't be hard to fix but I have to want until the wife gets home before I can make another trip to O'Riellys for some new tubing. Yay! my first repair! Allbeit a small one.

· Registered
188 Posts
Roverchic,

Thanks for the pics. I've got 3 cans of seafoam. I had to bring them from the continent since the product isn't available in Europe. I'm going to use one on the beast and the other on my Volvo. I purchased some length of vaccum line from the local Autozone in SoCal. Is that suitable for the seafoam? I'm hesitant because I don't want the line to "melt" from the liquid and drawn into the combustion side of the motor.

317 Posts
I just did it for the first time last night, couldn't have been easier. Just use the tube RoverChic shows ya. All I did was put a funnel on the tube pour real slow with one hand and rev the engine with the other. Course my vacuum line ripped, so I had to rig up a new one, but even that was simple. And the smoke! Holy crap there was a ton of it, I mean, I knew there was going to be a lot, but damn. I did it last night around 9:30, and smoked out the whole neighborhood, course I didn't realize till it was smoking like all hell that there was no wind at all, which is rare in Oklahoma. Anyway, it's easy.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
oberdahill,

The seafoam is safe to put through the tubes and will not melt it. Seafoam is also meant to be used in the combustion area of the engine. When you add it in this way the stuff gets right into the cylinder chambers where it dissolves the carbon that id built up there. If you you put in the gas tank or the crankcase it will also help remove moisture that might be built up in either of those areas. Only thing is if you add it to the oil, I have heard you shouldnt drive it very long before changing the oil out.

· Registered
188 Posts
apbtpetey,

Thanks for that input. I'm going to seafoam the beast this weekend and take it out on the autobahn for a run.

Anyone know where I can get parts (aftermarket or OEM) to re-mount the rear brush guards? The dealership will only sell the entire assembly and I need the plug and bolt. The "Home Depot" type places here are limited in the nuts and bolts department and my broken German (or lack thereof) is more confusing.

· Registered
21 Posts
Also look into Chevron Techron

I would also recommend looking into Chevron Techron Concentrate - I use the product along with many others and it works well. A matter of fact, the product was recommended to be by a few individuals and I then gathered info about the product on this very forum. All in all, it checks out to be a useful product!

· Registered
777 Posts
oberdahill said:
apbtpetey,

Anyone know where I can get parts (aftermarket or OEM) to re-mount the rear brush guards? The dealership will only sell the entire assembly and I need the plug and bolt. The "Home Depot" type places here are limited in the nuts and bolts department and my broken German (or lack thereof) is more confusing.

http://www.roverconnection.com/Disco 2 Acc/d2lampguards.htm

Try RoverConnection. I believe they have them there, but a bit pricey. Let me check the Rave CD and see if they have any cheaper replacements. Or if I can @ least get the screw/washer sizes that you need.

· Registered
188 Posts
RoverChic,

You must have ESP. I found them on Rover Connection and placed an order this past Thursday. Yes...they're pricey but I prefer to go with what works. Thanks for the input. Once I get everything put back together, I'll post some pics. I'm having the mounting bar replaced on the front brush guard, then plan on covering with some type of duracoat or rhinolining material.

· Registered
777 Posts
oberdahill said:
RoverChic,

You must have ESP. I found them on Rover Connection and placed an order this past Thursday. Yes...they're pricey but I prefer to go with what works. Thanks for the input. Once I get everything put back together, I'll post some pics. I'm having the mounting bar replaced on the front brush guard, then plan on covering with some type of duracoat or rhinolining material.

Good to hear! There are lots of screws that come in a huge bag...I think you might have to play with a few of them to figure out what goes where. I had a few left over peices after I bought them for my D2 rear lamp guards. On the topic of spraying (duracoat) my bf likes http://www.rustoleum.com/. He sprays it ON EVERYTHING! From his QT Guards to his roof rack.... Let us know what you go with!!

· Registered
120 Posts
They have a very similar product in the UK called "RedX" it goes back for years in England. I used to pour it down the carb top and give it full gas at the same time holding my hand over the top to choke it, then take my hand off and full reves again (BIG SMOKE lol) but it clears out all the moisture in the carb/injection system and carbon in the engine. Did find also that standing behind the exhaust was not a great idea as not only the smoke would give you a new colour to show your moms washing machine!!! but would also spit lumps of carbon out :eek: Anyway, if there are any UK members on here let us know if that stuff is still available ;) as I left England 11 years ago and only see US product here in New Zealand........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.