Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Discoveries since 1996 and loved them even though there were a few problems along the way, mostly electrical. Any thoughts on what i can do with my Disco 5, it had a new engine at 45,000 miles and i bought it at 65,000 miles and now at 70,000 miles i've been told it's only at 56% compression on one of the cylinders and it needs another new engine. luckily its under extended warranty.

I'm struggling to get answers from Harwoods, Edenbridge LRD. who say the details of the first engine swap are covered under GDPR rules as the car had a different owner. I know GDPR is designed to protect people's privacy not a car's history so i'm pursuing that.

As yet i don't know the reason for the first engine replacement, I'm guessing timing chain? also as yet i don't know what the cause of the second engine failure is either Lookers LRD, Battersea.

Any thoughts on what i can do other than wait a month to get my car back? do i have rights to a replacement car from Land Rover as this car is not fit for purpose? I have a hire car currently so i'm not carless but two engines in 70,000 miles there has to be a serious problem.

· Expert Crate Digger
428 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
That’s sucks dude. Good Luck to you.

· Registered
2 Posts
We’ve just been told our Discovery 5, 2018 plate, 67,000 miles, needs a new engine - £11,000! A warning light saying Engine Oil Critically Low came on last week whilst driving it. We pulled over immediately. No earlier warnings. The garage who currently have it also have another one in with them with the same issue. They phoned to get prices for new engine and the guy on the other end of the phone at Landrover parts said “we’re getting hundreds of these”. Have yet to speak to Landrover customer service but I’m going to. What happened with yours Neil? We’re debating what to do. If we have a new engine it will at least be covered by a warranty, but it’s worrying to read how many times this happens to people.

· VW Dieselgate beneficiary
91 Posts
The 4-cyl diesel SD4 engines are pretty notorious for these kinds of failures. We don't have them here in the US - we only ever got the Td6 engine that was a joint venture between Ford and Pugeot, and only got it for a couple years - thanks, Volkswagen.

The Td6 engine is a peach, the SD4...not so much.

for the OP - check out this forum, it's more British:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts