Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, last night I was driving my LR in a parking lot at 20 km/hrs, I push the gas pedal, it jamed and suddently the engine went from 2000 rpm to 6000 pedal went loose, had no control of the engine anymore and I went to 70km. I could have kill many, went so fast.......of course I put the transmission in neutral position but the engine keep the 6000 rpm, open the hood, and then engine came at 1000 rpm alone, the pedal still loose at this time.....I will investigate.....cable ? welding ? Attachement ? will post picture.......by the way my truck is in great shape, always been care of and very well maintain.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Considering the freezing temperatures in Montreal what likely happened is your throttle body iced up and the butterfly valve got stuck open until the engine heat melted the ice and released it. Have you every bypassed the throttle body heater? If you did then that is likely the cause. Also, if you haven't recently done an induction cleaning, carbon buildup in the throttle body may cause a similar sticking issue.

If the engine was warm however, you likely have something wrong with your throttle cables. They're either binding up because they're not properly adjusted, or somehow they too froze. Check to make sure that there isn't too much slack in the cables (easy to adjust) and make sure all the mounting bolts for them are tight. It would be easy for the cable to stretch or the adjustment nut to back off causing too much slack that leads the cable to bind.

It should be an easy fix, whatever it is. My real fear is the fact that you let your engine run at 6000RPM. I wasn't even aware they could rev that high. If the motor was still cold this could lead to other issues down the road. You should be fine but it's worth paying attention to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Engine was hot has the throttle body for sure, temp was -2, so it is nothing for us, I know it is a simple repair I can do it eyes closed.....just wanted to warn and disclosed what happen to me it is F ucki ng scarry and I seen alot in my life yet.

My LR is a 2000 with 180K km on it

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.