Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 99 discovery II and i'm not sure if it is equiped with the self leveling system. i have the button on the dash, but when i push it nothing happens ( the indicator light does show amber). How do i find out for sure if my disco has this option, and if it does what can i check to get it to work.
ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
523 Posts
One question: If you don't want to squeeze underneath the truck:
Is it a seven passenger Disco oir a five passenger one?(do you have the extra jump seats in the back?)If you do, then for shure it has the self-leveling suspension.If it has the button for the suspension, then it's almost for shure it has it, as the ones without it have a blank button on it.Don't want to sound stupid or so, but make shure you're not confusing the suspension button with the button for the "Hill Descent Control".If you want to be 100% sure about the facts, go and check for air bags under the back of your truck.You can take a look of the suspension specifically behind or in front of the back tire.DO this on a leveled surface ;)
Carlos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dude, you need an owner's manual! The self-leveling suspension is automatic. You sometimes hear a "ping" noise when you get out of the truck (at least I do, but I'm over 200 lb.) as the suspension re-adjusts itself. The raising of the rear that the button operates only works in low range. It's to give a better approach (departure?) angle off-road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jay B said:
Dude, you need an owner's manual! The self-leveling suspension is automatic. You sometimes hear a "ping" noise when you get out of the truck (at least I do, but I'm over 200 lb.) as the suspension re-adjusts itself. The raising of the rear that the button operates only works in low range. It's to give a better approach (departure?) angle off-road.
actually, mine works whenevr i have a load in the back, 4-hi & 4-lo

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
GOTMUD? said:
just bought a 99 discovery II and i'm not sure if it is equiped with the self leveling system. i have the button on the dash, but when i push it nothing happens ( the indicator light does show amber). How do i find out for sure if my disco has this option, and if it does what can i check to get it to work.
ANY IDEAS?
The previous answers were correct in that the SLS 'levels' automatically. The button, however, is for the 'off road' setting which raises the rear suspension. However, to engage it you must be in low range. Should beep a few times to let you know it's engaging and then the dash light will be on as long as you have it engaged. The dash light matches the button: shows the Disco's rear end with an arrow pointing up.

·
Banned
527 Posts
Actually...............the truth is that, even in Hi range, you can press and hold the button down, look in the rearview mirror and watch the vehicle rise or lower.
;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The system works in low and high range; I tried mine on High and it works as long as you keep the driver door closed and obviously the engine is on.

For the most part the system works automatically and levels depending on the load; I hope you don't mind the constant "pisssss"

Figman

·
Banned
527 Posts
SCSL said:
Hmm that's interesting,,,didn't know it worked in high. Thanks for corrected me
Bad gRaSsHoPpA.! :D

Learned you have! :drink1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need some input on My Land Rover's Leveling System

Yes, hello, I'm Kim and I have a 1999 DiscoveryII that I have had for a long time, now my load leveling system is doing this, I have replaced everything new, shocks, struts, check all air lines, however, occasionally (not all the time) it will level straight up, then others, the back end WILL NOT raise up, my mechanic is even baffled, and when that happens, it rides like a log truck and will beat your teach out, this on the highway with every little bump you might roll over. Is there anything that we might forgot to look at as to why this happening, and not all the time.....your feedback will be greatly appreciated, I'm beginning to think it is possessed....always having weird problems with this Rover, another one is, when you put into normal gear, the light on the shifter will start flashing, and it will not shift out, only occasionally, not all the time.....Look forward to some replies.....thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.