Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here, be gentle with me....

My 96 Disco V8i auto seems to be operating its diff lock on its own. Symptoms are that I will get horrible clonks and cracks going round sharp corners, which I think is transmission wind up.

If I stop and operate the transfer lever across into diff lock position, the indicator light doesn't come on. I then lock and unlock the diff several times, and the light then comes on in the lock position. I then unlock it, light goes out, and bingo, no wind up or noises.

Then, a few journeys later, the routine begins again.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,

TFP

· Registered
528 Posts
weird. if the difflock was popping out of place you would be in neutral, something may be loose or something though. Anyone else have any suggestions?

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
The center diff lock should not cause the cranking & banging going around turns. What you are describing is typically associated w/ a rear diff lock, like a detroit, which locks up the rear diff such that the wheels turn at the same rate around corners,,,causing that characteristic sound. The center diff simply regulates the amt of torque going to the front & rear axles, the the rate of individual wheel spin on an axle.

So sounds like you might have a different problem. :dunno:

4,346 Posts
hmm...Disco...you're right, does sound like CVs, but that last part where he says he messes with the Lever and it goes away for a bit throws it all off....I'd say check the oil/grease levels in the swivels. As a matter a fact, get yourself some w90 oil, and try draining your swivels. If you dont have a drain plug, dont bother, you've got grease in there. If you can drain though, refill it with the new oil to the right level and see if that does the trick....but I'd recommend that you narrow it down first...

What do you think guys? CV? Or maybe a trans. fuild flush and refil should help it right? It did on my mom's 89 Legend!

· Registered
44 Posts
SCSL said:
The center diff lock should not cause the cranking & banging going around turns. What you are describing is typically associated w/ a rear diff lock, like a detroit, which locks up the rear diff such that the wheels turn at the same rate around corners,,,causing that characteristic sound. The center diff simply regulates the amt of torque going to the front & rear axles, the the rate of individual wheel spin on an axle.

So sounds like you might have a different problem. :dunno:
Going around turns with the diff lock engaged on pavement will make God awfull noises and could ruin the transfer case. That is the reason why it isnt locked all the time and should only be locked during low traction situations. A center differential is what makes full time four wheel drive possible. Put a truck with part time 4wd into 4wd and try going around some turns. It will act the same way and sometimes even "bounce" around the turns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.