Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my broken gear box with another I had around. I stripped it all down and it checked out good. I re-assembled it and installed it with all new seals (except the one on the clutch which now leaks). YES, I took it apart and put it back together myself, carefully remembering what came from where and checking it against the Haynes manual. It now has a rubbing noise in first gear. When checking out the noise I put the transfer in N and cycle through the gears. It only makes the noise when 1st is engaged, a rubbing noise like the gear is rubbing it's side on something during part of it's revolution. When parked and checking this out, and I put forward pressure on the shifter the noise dissappears. When driving and pushing on the shifter it makes no difference. When the box was out of the vehicle everything seemed good and quiet.

What is it rubbing on ? Could it be a shift fork that needs adjusting? Did I leave a wrench in there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rubbing noise.

Hi,
Here's the most common fault that fits your discription.

Can I just get this stright, if you put your foot on the clutch the rubbing noise dissapears, when you remove your foot from the clutch the sound comes back? If so it sounds like the clutch release bearing. If so I'm sorry to say it's gearbox out and change the bearing, but on the good side, the bearing rarely fails completly, so if you can put up with the sounds, live with it for a while.
Had this on my 2A that had been stood in London for 4 years.
www.seriers2club.co.uk you may have to Google.
for any extra help.

Paul :bgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts