Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your replys guys, i did find some play in the ball joints from the steering drop arm to the relay so i changed them wich made a dramatic improvement but i also found some play in the drop arm back to the box i tried to adjust the square nut on the box but it didnt make much difference.
So i decided the box was goosed so i've taken it out (what a job) and im just in the process of cleaning it up and then i'll try and strip it down, does anybody know what parts if any you can change in the box i do have a Haynes manual but its nice to here from somebody who done it them selves.
If i can't repair it i'll have to get a new one, my local 4x4 shop called Simmonites do one for about, £130 does that sound ok.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Be REAL carefull taking apart the relay. There are 4 split fiber bushings, 2 on each end, and pushed apart by a very strong spring. If you go to fast, the 2 split bushings coming out will seperate and the spring will go flying. Carefully tap the shaft out and as the bushings apear, put a hose clamp over them to keep them together, then tap it the rest of the way, securing the last 2 bushings, also with a clamp. You will likely find alot of rust in there, as water finds it's way in. Grease it up real well, tap the bushings back in, removing the clamps as you go.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
TerryS said:
Be REAL carefull taking apart the relay. There are 4 split fiber bushings, 2 on each end, and pushed apart by a very strong spring. If you go to fast, the 2 split bushings coming out will seperate and the spring will go flying. Carefully tap the shaft out and as the bushings apear, put a hose clamp over them to keep them together, then tap it the rest of the way, securing the last 2 bushings, also with a clamp. You will likely find alot of rust in there, as water finds it's way in. Grease it up real well, tap the bushings back in, removing the clamps as you go.

WATCH OUT FOR THE SPRING MAN!!!!

IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS HARM!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.