Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mikey-D
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a Series II (65) converted to a Defender hybrid.

Any idea how difficult it is to swap the front grill & hood out (kit?) - and also the wheels / fender flare parts ?

thx, mike [email protected]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Unless you plan on fitting a v8 with the auto box/etc, I wouldnt bother with it. It can be done, but it really hurts the look of a series truck. I put a D90 grill/hood/flares, etc on my series 3 hybrid when I put the body onto a RRC frame. In that case it was the easiest option but it wasnt cheap. You need series 3 fenders, or at least the headlight part of the fender (D90s would probably work too). The hood which is terribly expensive and the breakfast. The bulkhead of a series 2 would probably need to be modified to accept the hood, not sure, the series 3 was no problem there. The breakfast would probably be easy enough but I had to trim the heck out of mine due to clearance issues. I had no problem mounting the headlight surrounds on the series 3 fenders. I used Military hood latches as well which made it easier. Really it isnt a big deal, its just expensive (hood mostly). Now fitting the 90 flares was a bit more work to roll a lip into the series fenders to mount them. Once you get the templates right it isnt that bad but the rear was more difficult. If you search back a few pages you might find some photos on my build thread or go to link in my sig, FLRC club, and go to pics, then go to gordos hybrid build. Some good photos of my fender manipulation in there. I would advise against it though. My newest hybrid is going to have a stock hood/breakfast and Im pushing the drivetrain back to keep the series look. Gordo

·
Mikey-D
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yellow rhino - lol

totally agree - not sure what they thinking, all that work, and to make yellow with a texture... unreal.

m

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
The pics are too old I believe. They don't show for me either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts