Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: :eek: Hi there anybody!!
Can any of you guys tell me what the thread is on a Series II SWB 1960.
Secondly, any ideas where I can buy a set of locking wheel nuts for same?
Cheers for now,
Vince

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
FWIW. No idea of the thread, but my experience with locking wheel nuts has not been good. For example, where are you going to store the unlocking key/nut? If it's at home, in the garage or what ever(unless you leave it in you vehicle), one day you may decide to have someone do a brake job, and if you forget to bring the unlocking key/nut with you......I think you see what I mean! Secondly, my experience, particularily, with locking nuts that have a push on cover, can (as I have found), develop oxidisation inside the cap due to electrolysis between the different metals (locknut and cap) and when the cap is removed, the locking nut comes off with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand studs

Disco,
Yeah .... got what you mean.
But when I've just spent 850 pounds on nice wheels and tyres, I really don't want some "Do-as-you-Likey" taking ashine to them for his 4x4 on the ol' caravan site.!! If you get my frift.
I'd like to have some sort of deterant in place to deter the casual 'oyk' from helping himself to my hard earned wheels and doenuts.
Thanks for the advise re: forgetting the essentials.
I intend to secreate them in a purpose built hidey hole in the vehicle. Sorry, if I told you where, I'd have to kill you!!
All the best to you and cheers
Vince

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If you get the type that have a "cover cap", put some light grease around the inside of the cap to stop corrosion via electrolysis.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
I thought it was standerd practice to put grease on all your wheel nuts? Helps especially if you intend to go into water/mud. But again it Might only be an old South African secrest that I am making public?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What I was referring to, is the cap which fits over the locking nut, but thanks for letting the other (tongue in cheek) secret out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stud queery

Stand down 'A flight' !!! Whooaaa!!
Thanks for all the handy tips on nuts and the maintainance thereof, but I still need to know the thread size and where I can get hold of a set of locking wheel nuts !!!
I can't put grease on nuts I haven't bought yet !! :bgreen:
Keep the info coming guys. Very entertaining so far!!
All the best guys and gals,
Cheers for now
Vince

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Why?
Dont you like to get side-lined?

I any case I dont know! but cant ouy take your Landy to a Engineering place to have them measured?

I Cant, mine is not stopping at this stage!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts