Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to keep this area of the forum alive. I bought this vehicle a little over a year ago, and the project is pretty much complete except for a few odds & ends. If you haven't seen the pictures on some of the other forums, I thought that you would like to see them. Enjoy.

Before:

During:

After:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Nice :) Though I have to say, I always like the camo paint jobs on Lightweights more than civvy colours.
I'm debating on whether to just repair my chassis, or order a galvanized one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's a new Marsland chassis.
Actually, the paint isn't a civvy color, it's military desert camo paint. The same stuff as used by the military when CARC is not required. Made by Gillespie Coatings and easy to spray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A head turning project. Well done mate.

Quite a fantastic job here. It is always a pleasure working on a new chassis. I am also in favor of green camo paint jobs but this is just as ok if it pleases the owner. I am restoring a short wheel base series 3 and am always interested in looking at photos of other projects for morale uplifting.

After:

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Yes, it's a new Marsland chassis.
Actually, the paint isn't a civvy color, it's military desert camo paint. The same stuff as used by the military when CARC is not required. Made by Gillespie Coatings and easy to spray.
Ah, ok. On my screen the colour looks very much like Sand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but is that a brand new engine or a rebuild with all new components on the old block?
I am a big fan of lightweights as they are so darn rustic looking even when beautifully restored like this one. A no nonsense vehicle

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...is that a brand new engine or a rebuild with all new components on the old block?
It's a Turner "High Performance" long block outfitted with new & restored components. The original engine had a recently rebuilt head, but it had almost no compression on #4 cylinder. I popped the head off and found what appeared to be a crack in the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm about to hit 500 miles on the Lightweight, and I am indeed having a ball with it! My 4 year old daughter loves this thing. Most of the miles are taking her (at her request, believe it or not) to the local Monday night "cruise night" and then out for ice cream.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Beautiful truck! The blood, sweat and tears that inevitably go into a build like that were well worth it in your case. I imagine that is a real head turner around town.

I love the paint as well. Did you spray it yourself?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I'm about to hit 500 miles on the Lightweight, and I am indeed having a ball with it! My 4 year old daughter loves this thing. Most of the miles are taking her (at her request, believe it or not) to the local Monday night "cruise night" and then out for ice cream.
You're lucky, my ex wouldn't let our kids ride in my Lightweight, that's how I ended up with a Disco.

·
Mikey-D
178 Posts
1980 lightweight 24v RHD > partially done

Got the multiple coats of ugly green off (tips from Jac) down to bare birmabrite, sand now...and orig wheel powder coated, and a few other upgrades so far...

mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I didn't really notice before that the lightweight half shafts and drive members were replaced with civilian versions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is a very late S3, so it was factory-built with rationalized axles (as well as 11" front brakes).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts