Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have just registered on the site, and I am in the final stages of my first restoration of a series III petrol SWB. Car is finally together and now will not turn over by the starter. When engine was put in the rolling chassis it started with the starter and it ran. Then it sat for a while and then tried starting it again and all it will do is engage for about a half second and then thats it. I didnt worry because I knew it used to work and that it was probobly a solenoid problem. Now it is all back together, transmission and body and all with a new solenoid. I finally started it by hand last weekend, but with the starter it will engage for a half second and thats it and then try it again and the solenoid just clicks. Then turn the hand crank and try the starter again and it engages just for the half second, then try again and the solenoid just clicks. Any ideas!! Starter is getting power fine. The main gear on the starter does have some wear on the teeth. I pulled the starter and it turns on its own, i grounded it with jumper cables. Could my ground be bad when it is installed? Could it be bound up somehow?
Just curious if anyone knows to try to save me from buying another if I dont have to. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
Try charging the battery. Mine did this and I fitted new starter but it didn't work I then charged the battery and it works great. It doesn't go far so I assume the batteries arn't getting charged enough so need recharging everycouple of months or so. I would refit the old starter to test it with a full battery but can't be bothered to swap them over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Big, big tip with series vehicles, make sure you depress the clutch when starting, it makes a wealth of difference in allowing the engine to spin that bit more freely and you will actually be surprised by what difference it makes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
cutnfell,
Well, firstoff, what is your battery voltage at rest? It should be about 12.7 volts.
Are teeth missing on the starter gear? On the flywheel? Missing teeth mean that there's nothing to grab on to...
Since the solenoid is clicking, you should be good up to that point, make sure the starter ground is clean and tight and that the cable is good. If you're daring, you should be able to apply 12v to the starter out of the truck to see if it actuates, but I didn't tell you to do that...
Bogatyr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured it out

Thanks for the help. I Figured It out. It is a bad ground cable. I grounded the starter to the battery and it worked. Then I moved the ground from the starter to the starter ground cable. It worked again then moved it to the clamped end of the battery ground cable and it worked. But when I take my ground off from the battery it just clicks. So I figure it is a bad ground cable. All connections were sanded good but it is not grounding to the frame.

Wish I knew about asking these questions at the beginning of the restoration would have saved me from a lot of sleepless nights!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.