Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the arrival of my new Mean Green alternator, I've been on the lookout for a 91.5" serpentine belt (from advice on this board, I know that the OEM one will be about 3 inches too short).

Problem is that I can only find 6-groove belts, not the 7-groove belts that are required. I thought that it would be easier to find them in the US but have had to special order a Dayco PolyCog belt (read: double what a normal belt costs). Given the importance and durability of the new belt, I don't mind the added cost, but wouldn't want such an expensive spare just sitting around.

What do you guys think about a 6-groove belt? Can I count on one as a reliable spare? What, if any, limitations would I be looking at?

Peace,

·
Premium Member
10,167 Posts
The belt won't be as strong but will work..The main problem I see is the belt skipping or moveing.......I have done the same to my friends rig...a GMC...has held for a year now!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The belt you need is a Gates K070905. I ordered mine from rockauto.com for about $30.

Good luck with your Mean Green. It was a nightmare ordeal for me.

·
MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just picked up my Dayco PolyCog belt (#5070915) - thanks for the Gates crossreference (it looks like your belt may have been 1" shorter than mine - I don't think its a big deal).

I've got pretty decent access to the 6-groove belts, so I'll hang on to one as a spare...

Cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.