Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

I was burbling along in my 01' Discovery yesterday, when the Service Engine light came on out of nowhere. The truck still ran fine and everything looked kosher, but the light refuses to go off. I disconnected the battery to reset everything(it's been known to work), but it lite right back up. I was able to have it scanned today, but there were no codes per se.....just said "permanent voltage low". What should I be looking at? It sounds like the computer battery might be worn and won't hold a charge.....just a guess by my Tech. Any input? Regards

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First of all, never disconnect the cables to clear codes, it won't and it will cause your ECU and tranny computer to loose some of of their adaptive memory.
Just go to your local parts store and ask for a free charging system test under full load. The voltage must be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Mike!....what would be the next step if it's lower than 13.6? Not that it matters, but the truck only has 56,000kms on it. Kinda been babying it since new. The battery is only a couple years old. Here in Canada, parts stores tend not to do anything for free, but I'll certainly do as you suggest.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, find some one that will read the actual voltage under load, this will determine the actual problem. Most likely you will be looking at an alternater if your voltage is low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.