Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my "98 LSE for about a month now. I've changed all the fluids, plugs,ect and the truck has been running great.. It has 82,000 mls and everything works .. This afternoon I was backing it into the garge to change the rear pads and noticed that the red "Service Engine" light was on. According to the manual this is an amber light .. Is there a red bulb also in this area also ??? Is there a way to reset the light or do I have to drive 85 miles to the nearest LR dealer ??? Thanks for any info... I'm sure I'll be asking MANY questions of the list in the future !!!

Paul Zwerner
Terre Haute,IN

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sounds like your maintance light came on, which it will at that mileage. From memory there should be a relay, maybe brown, behind the r/f passanger kick panel that can be reset to clear that light.
If that is not right go to DiscoWeb temp. site and look it up on their tech. section. http://68.49.91.161/index.html
A few things were not mentioned as part of your maintance, new plug wires, brake flush and power steering fluid change, don't forget them. Especially the plug wires, if yours are factory, they are junk at this point, put a good set of 8mm. Magnacors wires on and feel the difference.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the sequence for the light to be extinquished.. I got to the box,ect, and felt contact with the contacts. I turned ignition on to p2. I was in a hurry to go out, so I didn't mess with it much. It was still on when we went out. I'll go back to work with it this afternoon...No Colts to watch !!! Do you have to start the truck while grounding contacts ??? Thanks..

PFZ

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Go to the DiscoWeb site's technical page, or Expedition Exchange technical site, they both have writings on how to do it.
Mike J.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If You have seen the box, You can fix it!

Remove the little brownish-red box from behind the kick panel, peel back or puncture the "Land Rover" sticker, place the shank end of a small drill bit through the hole, (about 3/16", if I remember correctly) and hold against the contacts for 3 to 5 seconds. Plug it back in, and live happily ever after until the next pre-scheduled "Service Engine" interval. Then repeat. No key on, no engine running, just remove from vehicle & re-set. Hope this helps! Thank You, LRW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.