1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Disco 2
95,000 miles

Does my line of thought track here?

Misfire in Cylinder # 6, P0306. Intermittent though - shut off, start up, warm up and the issue mostly went away. Though this week, I had an issue upon startup with rough idle and so forth but no code...at the time. I was accelerating to get on a highway and the SES light came on (blinking), codes thrown for misfire again. As quickly as I could, pulled off and shut down for a bit.

Now though, I have a couple other codes thrown and I think I destroyed an O2 sensor, dumping gas into the exhaust?

Now P0150 and P0174.

As soon as it is delivered, my plan is to relocate and install new Coil Packs (Thanks, Gerry!) and custom Kingsborne wires and plugs. I am hoping this will resolve the issues at least with the misfire.

Any other thoughts on the other codes? Do you think they may be a symptom of the misfire issue?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you haven't replaced coil packs and the like, then yes do those now and forget about them for a long time.

With those codes however, they aren't fun.

I had similar codes with misfires, system too lean, yada yada

Tried chasing all sorts, even thought it was an ECU at one point.

Checks wires first (ie, where your O2 sensors plug into main harnesses)...check for oil (usually from valve cover leaks from rear).

I had no oil and no build up of any kind, turns out replacing all 4 O2 sensors and being done with solved those same codes you have.

I asked the similar question of "could an O2 sensor cause a misfire?" And had varied responses...I replaced all four O2 sensors and my misfires went away, maybe correlated

All in all, I'm just happy to solved all the loose ends.

IMO, if you haven't replaced parts that are related to the fault tree that also go bad, REPLACE THEM with proper parts and be surprised about having nothing to worry about afterwards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benny thanks for the reply. I recently, about 1500 miles ago, replaced the Y pipe and all 4 O2's with brand new. Hopefully, when I replace the coil packs, wires and plugs, the other issues simply disappear. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nice, be careful however because if you did replace them and they were NOT faulty then those codes/issues could tank those new sensors for sure.

Do the coil packs
Do the wires
Do NOT mess up the wire/cylinder diagram

Now with regard to the O2 sensors, we're they Bosch or some aftermarket? Because I thought I was gonna be smart and not get oem thinking it was the same...caused more problems as the sensors eventually all crapped out.

Can you verify what type/brand of sensors you got real fast?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the coil packs - Check!
Do the wires - Check!
Do NOT mess up the wire/cylinder diagram - Check: (See attached)

I bought the off-brand O2 sensors with the new Y-Pipe from AB: These. Im not certain what brand they are but likely not Bosch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have always wondered why they do not turn that silly diagram around - so the front of the vehicle points up and it matches the wiring arrangement on the coils - instead of being backwards.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So my recent experience with replacing an o2 sensor B1 sensor 1, wasn't reporting any voltage. I bought a 24 dollars ebay special, replaced it and same thing. No reported voltage. I sent it back as defective, I then said screw it and bought all 4 front and back non OEM and the two back sensors work but neither upstream b1 b2 sensor 1s work? How does this work i don't know and have never been so annoyed to see no results. Anyhow, I just recently ordered O.E. bosch replacements for top dollar. I am hoping these will work. here's a vid on youtube of what's going on. So if i order these bosch and it works there has to be some secret code language for them to talk to the ECU? My drivers side bank 1 sensor one caused some misfire codes as well but went away when i replaced the sensor but now this below is happening

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mostly Solved!

I finally got all the parts I was expecting in and installed:

1) Gerry Condez Coil pack relocation kit
2) New Coil Packs
3) Custom Kingsborne wires (to go with the relocation kit)
4) Bosche Platinum plugs
5) BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner

Removing the wires from the coil packs was just a miserable as everyone online here has said it would be. It's the SAI pipe that runs right over top of the coil packs that made it tough. I ended up removing the feed tubes that route to the heater core and that allowed me to pull the SAI tube out completely. Let me tell you my hands are raw and bloodied from this job! Laying on the engine face down makes me wish I had removed the hood (bonnet) for sure.

So, upon installing all of the above, I initially was still throwing misfire codes. Disappointing. Though I cleared the codes a few times and added this magic juice: BG 44k Fuel System Cleaner - and now I'm only seeing a pending code, P0150 for what I thought (above in the OP) was a damaged O2 sensor from the bad misfire on cylinder 6. I think the O2 being faulty may be causing it to run a little rough but nothing like the multi-misfire situation previously.

So - tomorrow, I will replace the O2 and hopefully will be running great!

I will report back so hopefully, this can help the next chap!

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Glad to hear you making progress

Would be interested to see some pictures of the install /relocate

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Send us a pic of where you relocated the coils. Interesting. I had the same problem. Could not press the new Magnecor wires on the coil. Actually had to give up and have my indy do it. Embarrassing. 1999 DII

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Relocation pics

Here are some pics of the final job.

If you are wondering, the white residue everywhere is leftover dust from having my frame underneath soda-blasted. The powder goes everywhere! Next job is to clean the engine bay!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solved!

Good news for me, the new O2 sensor (Bosch) seems to have cleared up the remaining issues. No CEL/SES codes after a street and bit of a mud joy ride.

I must say though, again, Land Rover really doesn't seem to care about what are 'maintenance items' in that they made the plug for the O2 sensor almost completely impossible to get to. You need very small hands to unplug and replug that O2...what should be a 10-minute job was fraught with more swear words than my 11 year old probably ever heard!

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Yet another Perk of ownership....... Expanding your vocabulary;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yes. I think you are talking about the front driver's side sensor. It is almost impossible to disconnect the plug with one hand and I know not how you clean it if it is contaminated with grease. As I remember I used a very long pair of needle nose pliers to hold it with one hand and had a big problem getting the release to work.

Very user unfriendly and I seem to remember that it is supposed to be reattached to a hanger on the firewall and not just left hanging free.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very user unfriendly and I seem to remember that it is supposed to be reattached to a hanger on the firewall and not just left hanging free.
Yea - I had to abandon the little clip/hanger thing. Once I finally got it to connect was not about to fish it back in that loop. I tucked it up out of the way. I also noticed the Bosch wire was a lot shorter than the old one I pulled out so I don't have any fear it would hang down low enough to lay on the cat nor get caught up by a stick or something.

Cleaned up the engine bay today. Fired right up, no issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Greg - I'm trying to locate the Gerry Condez Relocation Kit but apparently Google & Ebay (Auction Ended last year) hate me! Could you pass along the details as I'm due for a Wire/Plug change very soon and just want to move and replace - if they are still available? That way my knuckles are only half as bloody after this change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greg - I'm trying to locate the Gerry Condez Relocation Kit but apparently Google & Ebay (Auction Ended last year) hate me! Could you pass along the details as I'm due for a Wire/Plug change very soon and just want to move and replace - if they are still available? That way my knuckles are only half as bloody after this change.
I see you have Gerry's email above. Also check out here,; a long thread on his development of the idea.

Make sure you get the entire coil pack kit that includes the bracket too - like here but there are MUCH cheaper options out there.

He will direct you to get the custom wires too. I chose Kingsborne wires.

So you need to buy outright:

1) New plugs
2) The custom length wires
3) Full coil pack kit with mounting bracket

From Gerry, his mounting kit (includes associated bits and extension wires).

Good luck and have lost of patience with the SAI piping. PM me and I can provide my number to talk you through anything if you like.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts