Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Land Rover Discovery II, AWD, 4.0L V-8, stock with no custom mods.

Problem:

The vehicle runs and drives fine except when it hits a bump at highway speeds. This causes the steering wheel to shake, sometimes violently for about 2-3 seconds.

I had the vehicle inspected by both the local Land Rover Dealer and a local garage. Both said that nothing was wrong. One even gave me measurements/dimensions of the front end components to show me that they were all good at the moment.

This vehicle is well maintained, and I am the original owner. It is strictly driven on-road. I feel as if this is a severe safety problem, as this vehicle is used as my daily driver with my family onboard.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the truck?
Chance are if you are around 100,000 miles, your steering stabilizer is shot as are a few tie rod ends.
Do you know how to test all your tie rod ends?
When replacing your steering stabilizer use only a Old Man Emu for best results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on the truck?
Chance are if you are around 100,000 miles, your steering stabilizer is shot as are a few tie rod ends.
Do you know how to test all your tie rod ends?
When replacing your steering stabilizer use only a Old Man Emu for best results.
130,000 miles on the truck.

I had BOTH Land Rover and a local shop inspect the front end and both said that everything looked ok. One even gave me some measurements saying that it measured good.

Could a work steering stabilizer do this?

Why old man emu? What about terrafirma?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
OME is twice the quality of a T.F.
We might ought to talk so I can walk you thru what to do and why, PM me your number and Ill call you back.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Time for new shocks, steering stabilizer and springs along with an inspection of the tie rod ends and bushings.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, maybe it is time for you to start working on your own vehicle, mechanics haven't helped you yet.
Send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do/check.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The steering damper is not for stopping steering wobble on the road. That's a myth that just won't die. They are for absorbing shocks when hitting things with one wheel, primarily off road.
If you fit one to "fix" your steering wobble all you're doing is masking the real issue and shortening the life of your new damper.

Odds are good that your upper and/or lower steering knuckle ball joints are worn.
Fix the actual problem then fit a new damper if it's warranted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Anti,

The vehicle is with my mechanic now. He is doing his inspections and i trust him since i met a guy that had the same problem and he fixed it for him.

I will hear from him tommorow and i will get back to you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

It pears that my chassis has broken just behind the ace actuator somewhere near the steering box. This is beleived to be causing the vibration. I trust it does contribute but maybe it's not the only factor?

But the steering knuckles are not rulled out yet. So the chassis will be welded and we shall see what the result feels like.

Tell me how can the steering knuckles be tested?

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I have the same symptoms, although maybe not as strong, around two or three good shakes at 120 km/h when hitting just the right crack in the road. Brand new steering box, and I checked all the ball joints and tie rods, and everything is real tight. Absolutely no play anywhere. It doesn't bother me that much, but my GF doesn't like the feeling. So I too was thinking about replacing the steering dampener.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You mean you had a crack in the frame, if so, was it just welded or was it plated on both sides?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
That should be fine.
So, are you still running the original shocks and springs, if so and if you want a much better ride, you should start considering replacing at least the shock based on your mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Mike thanks for your response. The vehicle is at 270 000 km. I am considering 2 inch medium duty lift springs and shocks. I am told that will improve the ride?

I am in south African. What brand of springs, shocks and tires make a good combination?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts