Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I don't think there is. What is your transmission doing or why are you wanting to make an adjustment?
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
There are shift points noted in the Workshop Manual but those are factory shift points and you already have a broken-in tranny and it will already have a character. Those shiftpoints will be different from vehicle to vehicle. It depends on how it was broken in.

My most noticeable shiftpoint is when you are accelerating past 50 and it goes when you hit 50, the rpm goes from 2000 to 1500 rpm.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When starting normally from a stop the trans has very short shift points. It does not feel like it is slipping, but the shift points are barely noticeable, just not what I am used to in every other auto.
When I am entering, say, from an on ramp to a highway and floor it , it appears to wind out and shift normally. BTW the trans fluid is nice and red no burning, Any Ideas? Thanks :rellye

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The fliud can be red without a smell but with the age of yor truck, you could have a couple of laquered up valves in your valve body.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
honybears said:
Do you think using Seafoam (Specifically for the trans, Which I saw in a NAPA store) and then having the fluid & filter changed would be an answer? :rellye
It might not be a bad idea, and won't cost much to do.
Mike J.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
is Seafoam an additive? if so, i hear they're not good for the tranny. which is why the Disco IIs dont have a tranny dipstick. aparently people were screwing up their trannies by putting additives in.

if you think about it. these oil companies spend millions/billions on reaserching in labs and such to make the proper formulas (especialy synthetic oils) what makes you think you can improve upon it with some crap you found in an auto parts store?

just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bene said:
is Seafoam an additive? if so, i hear they're not good for the tranny. which is why the Disco IIs dont have a tranny dipstick. aparently people were screwing up their trannies by putting additives in.

if you think about it. these oil companies spend millions/billions on reaserching in labs and such to make the proper formulas (especialy synthetic oils) what makes you think you can improve upon it with some crap you found in an auto parts store?

just my thoughts on the matter.
Bene,
You are getting some bad advise. There are a number of good additives for transmissions, and in the case of our German ZF's, they need all the help we can give them. The lack of a dip stick is just our German friends way of getting back at us Rover owners, as well as some Jags and BMWs that use the same set up.
Mike J.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
well, i got my info from a LR mechanic (thats the only reson i would know about the lack of a tranny dipstick on a D2). but dont take my word for it. ask a mechanic yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.