Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am having trouble with the lights around the automatic shifter that tell ya what gear you're in. Sometimes they are on, sometimes not. I mean, I know how to shift into drive and reverse without the light to know what gear I am in, but it's nice to have. Anyway, I'm sure I just have a connection loose, but how do I find out. I tried messing with the plastic casing around the bottom on the shifter, but it didn't easily come off, so I didn't know if there was a trick to it or if I need to be more forceful, or if I should start my search somehwere else. Any suggestions? Have a '98 LE btw. Thanks

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'll just try harder to get the casing around the bottom off. I didn't want to break anything, but I suppose I gotta get it off if I want to fix it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Pry the bezel from the back and it should come off. Lift up and you will be able to remove and inspect the bulbs. The receptacles are hidden and will need to be pried.

I suggest when you have the chance to purchase the LED versions of those bulbs. That way this will probably be the last time you will ever have to replace those bulbs.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I'll go see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try subjecting the truck to some vibration. My shifter illumination never worked from day 1, and I'd given up on it ever working, but after my 2nd offroading trip, it magically started lighting up like it was supposed to :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once you do get in there, I would suggest replacing the both bulbs on either side of the shifter. I initially only did one, then it bugged the hell out of me that one side was significantly brighter than the other. Went back in and changed the other...

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I changed both of them. Looks great. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.